"Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs bust"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this on the news BZ Iron Duke and crew

2. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

I saw this on Navy-News, but I thought it said that they seized a street value of £80 mil.
    Must've gone up!

3. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

There's been another seizure. The £80 mil. one happened a little while ago - this one, the £240 mil. one has happened in the last fortnight.

4. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Wow thats great news for the Navy then. Not so much for the cokeheads. :D

HMS Iron Duke seems to be doing rather well!

5. B/Z Arthur Wellesley, Boys Virtutis Fortuna Comes :wink:

6. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

A little while ago B/Z you Janners :wink: Unus et omnes

7. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

BZ Iron Duke

Was it not so long ago "OUR TONY" decided to curtail the anti drug running and put the money into the police force back home!!!

8. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Saw this on BBC News, well done to the RN, espcially the crew of HMS Iron Duke.

I take it with this sort of operation they must have had a good tip off over the drugs and where they were possibly stashed on the ship.

Liked the bit where it showed them firing at the ship from a helicopter after arresting the crew, is that normal procedure and how many missiles did they fire at it.

Finally DID THEY SINK IT

9. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

I thought shooting it was pretty unnecessary :lol:
    If it were me, Id tow it back to Portsmouth and sell it to a fisherman and put it towards the F35s and the new carriers!
    I presume they had Marines or SBS (or both) on the Iron Duke and sent them onto the boat first. I doubt the drug runners would give up easily?
    Maybe interrogation led to the whereabouts of the coke :?:

10. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

[quote="Powder] I thought shooting it was pretty unnecessary :lol:
    If it were me, Id tow it back to Portsmouth and sell it to a fisherman and put it towards the F35s and the new carriers! [/quote]

Quite. Bring back Prize Money.

Boss fellah IRDK gave a good interview on the Today Programme yesterday.

Pongoonboard. Missiles?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Another sterling effort by my last ship, well done all yet again.

Interestingly, if you peruse the frequency of each (record breaking) drugs bust in the Windies, acting on intelligence from the DEA & US Coastguard, it almost seems to coincide with each time there's a changeover of warship in the area. Traditionally it all goes a bit quiet after we dramatically blast another "go fast" for the benefit of the press.

My understanding was that those "arrested" are returned to their country of origin for prosecution & the illegal cargo returned to the "authorities"of the country of origin for incineration.

It would be interesting to conduct eye scans of the 'bad guys' & take cargo samples for analysis to see if there are any repeat appearances.

12. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Aren't the majority of the countries doing drug trafficking/exports (Brazil, Peru, Colombia etc) have rather corrupt Governments anyway. I'm sure that if it is their main export then they will just find another way to ship it out somehow.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Surely not. :wink:

14. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh how depressing :(

15. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Nice work HMS Iron Duke and the crew!

16. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

I was on a ship during a bust, we lifted the go fast on board and she was fitted with three V6 outboards with extra large fuel filters, worth a few bob. I had a look at the running hours and all they had was 5 max. the LEDET (Law Enforcement DETacthment wanted me to remove the bullets from the engines so they could have it mouted in their mess, as you can imagine it was pretty much in a mess, the bullet that it, just fragments but still they wanted them. after removing the said bullets i asked them if i could use the parts to get one up and running, all that was wrong was one head had ahole, one ignition circuit was blown away but all could have neen cannabalised and one fixed, but they refused said not a chance and no i couldn't sell it when we got into Fort Lauderdale, maybe they didn't like the idea that they hadn't completely wrecked the engines, and i was miffed that i could have come away with a few quid in my pocket.

17. Re: "Cocaine worth £240m seized in RN's biggest ever drugs

Could any of this £worth be used to reduce the defence buget? :D :D