Club foot

Achmed

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
Achmed said:
Touchstone said:
So I should be ok then? But what about the medical examination? I should get the all clear? From what I heard corrected injuries shouldn't be a problem...

I have yet to go 30 miles but I should be ok. As for that I will worry about that in my 40's, I don't care about my injuries as long as I get that green lid.
Now about the visual impairment...will that pose a problem?

OOH you will mate :strong: even women are running faster than me FFS

Try wearing a skirt then they always did say woman with skirt up run faster than man with trousers down.

This is too true........however this is not applicable in Scotland as you know :rendeer:

Achmed said:
Maxi_77 said:
Achmed said:
Touchstone said:
So I should be ok then? But what about the medical examination? I should get the all clear? From what I heard corrected injuries shouldn't be a problem...

I have yet to go 30 miles but I should be ok. As for that I will worry about that in my 40's, I don't care about my injuries as long as I get that green lid.
Now about the visual impairment...will that pose a problem?

OOH you will mate :strong: even women are running faster than me FFS

Try wearing a skirt then they always did say woman with skirt up run faster than man with trousers down.

This is too true........however this is not applicable in Scotland as you know :rendeer:

Mind you in True Scotsman rig you are always ready for action!

:censored:

The_Chief_Wizzum

Midshipman
I too was born with talipese, and have recently completed 23 yrs in the RN, not the same as RM I know! As long as you point it out at the time of your medical I can see no reason for it being a problem. best of luck.

Touchstone

Midshipman
Well I went to the AFCO.

They said because of the talipese I would not be eligble for service in the Navy and therefore the Royal Marines.

So my dreams are crushed and I feel like my life has no direction. I don't know what I'm going to do now...could do with some advice.

A

angrydoc

I'm afraid the AFCO is correct - clubfoot, corrected or otherwise, is a bar to entry. I know a lot of our standards seem strange, as you probably have no problems with your feet at all at the mo. However, we look on it as a duty of care thing. In the RM you are required to engage in strenuous exercise, and if we know you have a predisposition to problems then it wouldn't be terribly responsible of us to make you crack on with it.

If it's any consolation, at least you have found out now and not when your application was further on. Many people are turned down on medical grounds at a much later stage, which is obviously harder to take.

Sorry!

I'm genuninely really sorry to hear your news Touchstone it must have come as a great blow to you. Although you must be absolutely gutted at the moment your a young man and something will come along and present itself that will enthuse you.

Good luck

XRD

Touchstone

Midshipman
Yes. I feel very low at the moment, it felt like the greatest opportunity of my life just disappeared.

Looking into joining the Army as an officer, will have to fill in some medical questionnaires, though it is not looking hopeful. I am determined to have some place in the armed forces. Though the recruitment officer was trying to discourage me, saying it would be extremely hard to get into Sandhurst, and that my GCSE grades, Math's and English at grade C and everything else at grade B was not good enough.

I have heard about a lot of American servicemen who have served with talipese, and I don't about the guy above ^ saying he served 30 years in the Navy though....if I am not eligible for any of the armed forces I will be truly gutted.

Thank you for your help though.

royalbumbaclod

Badgeman
Touchstone said:
Well I went to the AFCO.

They said because of the talipese I would not be eligble for service in the Navy and therefore the Royal Marines.

So my dreams are crushed and I feel like my life has no direction. I don't know what I'm going to do now...could do with some advice.

Try the army...or RAF? Dont harm yourself tho ;)

royalbumbaclod

Badgeman
Touchstone said:
Yes. I feel very low at the moment, it felt like the greatest opportunity of my life just disappeared.

Looking into joining the Army as an officer, will have to fill in some medical questionnaires, though it is not looking hopeful. I am determined to have some place in the armed forces. Though the recruitment officer was trying to discourage me, saying it would be extremely hard to get into Sandhurst, and that my GCSE grades, Math's and English at grade C and everything else at grade B was not good enough.

I have heard about a lot of American servicemen who have served with talipese, and I don't about the guy above ^ saying he served 30 years in the Navy though....if I am not eligible for any of the armed forces I will be truly gutted.

Thank you for your help though.

You need A-levels to be an officer aswell mate

Touchstone

Midshipman
royalbumbaclod said:
You need A-levels to be an officer aswell mate

Yeah I know, just finishing them now.

I am starting a degree in Computer Science next academic year. Originally I planned on joining and becoming on officer in REME as an engineer, but then I had my heart captivated by the Royal Marines.

So initially I want to be trying some engineering trade in the Army or RAF, I just hope against hope that I can be eligible, I cannot bear the thought of being forever in civvy street.

Guys at AFCO said I should fill in a medical questionnaire as part of the Officer selection process and see what they say, don't know where I should get one of these. Can anyone help me? They do not deal with Army Officer recruitment in this particular AFCO, gave me a number for one in Nottingham that does not work. Much appreciated.

Cpt_Black

Lantern Swinger
Hi, with the number, I had a similar thing in that I was given a number for Brum AFCO (while I was at Glos) which was different to the one advertised on the RN website.
They didn't answer straight away so try it a few times. Alternatively, look for some different numbers on the internet, or phone the original AFCO to check the number.

Cheers
C