cloth cap covers

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by oasis6x, Dec 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. very soon i enter the dizzy heights of the senior rates mess, and upon getting issued my kit (of which i was looking forward to wearing the cap) realised just how badly made the caps are. A friend of mine (a grunter) has a cloth cap cover, which although gets dirty, can be washed, looks a little better than the plastic ones, and i just generally fancy one.

Am i going to get shit in the mess / from other senior rates for wearing one? It seems my only option is to buy one online though.

2. Yes. You will be mercilessly hounded for being a chodder. And if you aren't, you should be.

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a SR with a cloth cap cover. If you really wanted one, then try somewhere like Bauns, Garry Beverly, or even Gieves, but I think its something that only Officers tend to do.

That said, most RN traditions seem to emanate from someone doing something utterly stupid, and somehow others carrying on - so good luck to you...

4. I think the last one i saw on a SR was a CMEM, the old, drunken tabbing type.

I dont give a **** what people think tbh i think they look better than the plastic issued ones.

5. That's because they were swiftly killed for being cocks.

6. I had one - it was great! I think scruffy chic covers it, as it was smart enough not to get me a bollocking, but scruffy enough to match the rest of my submarine gear. The cap was originally a standard pusser's plastic, but went all yellow after several patrols. So on went a Gieves (?) cloth cover. I could fold my cap and keep it it my back pocket like a large beret! I also wore a King's cap badge and it was only commented on twice, in fact it was nicked from my cap while I was in scran.

My how I loved winding up the Reg staff in Faslavatory! It's good to have a hobby.

Dress Regs are your friend - you'd be AMAZED what you can wear legally!!

7. Thats awesome. Can you spin me the same dit about half ten?

(click)

8. Thanks for the reply mate.

9. I would, but you'd be sat in your pants alone playing COD 4, occasionally pausing to stare longingly at your non issue cap thinking how mint you'll look to all on the way to the NAAFI in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
  10. You could whisper it through the door?

Im just writing these down so i can read them later, for a self-induced weary on.

11. I can see how easily achievable that can be when you get blood over wearing a new shaped hat.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought this was a Jewish question.

• Like Like x 2
  13. PMSL!!! :laughing2:

14. Looks like someone's got a new playmate for Christmas.

15. Its the same shape. Just to bring you up to speed.

Teh internets is more fun every day due to people like you manning forums. 3k posts and 2.9k of utter, utter shite.

16. No it isn't, you mentioned you were getting particularly excited about wearing an SRs cap you rock and roll bastard you:

And 2.6k of them amusing myself baiting mouth breathing kit wallahs.

17. Super cool! All the kids must want to be just like you. Posting things that make no sense. If you have a 3000 service number do they have to PM you first for account approval? Jog on.

18. Jog on? Isn't that expression the sole preserve of 17 year old wannabe mockney football hoolie hardmen?

I don't tend to mix in the exciting social circle that is the low brow stores branch so I wouldn't know if this is also a phrase used by the educationally, physically, socially and comically inept, salad dodging plebeians who inhabit said branch.

I must pop into stores after leave, and this time not just to point and laugh. I'll ask for some more cutting nineties Danny Dyerisms to fire at people when I run out of wit.

Which I won't because I'm not S&S.

19. Cloth cap covers were the dogs bollocks.....wore one all the time....

Were quite commonly used by senior rates in my day (late 60's/early 70's) ...though things may have changed in the interim. Standard plastic lids of the day I found went a little 'grey' over time...if not adopting a 'yellow' tinge first!.....

That was then....and as a couple of 'joggers' have intimated, now is now....
    :tongue1:
    :toothy2:

20. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Me likey this thread muchly lots.