Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Closure of a Dockyard.

The Royal Navy exists to protect the Merchant Navy! as the Merchant Navy is about non existant why do we need the former - besides which all the old enemies are now citizens of Britain now so why bother - we've bloody well surrendered already! Can't you feel the knife between your shoulder blades, curtesy of B'liar and company!
 
safewalrus said:
we've bloody well surrendered already! Can't you feel the knife between your shoulder blades, curtesy of B'liar and company!

I think you might be right, we are becoming the minority. I did some work in Bognor Regis last year, of a population of about 45,000. Some 10.000 of them are eastern Europeans. And this is just 1 seaside town, just think what its like accross the UK.
 
The T45 issue, as explaine to us by the DEC is more a case of delaying the last 2 into the next financial round, not a total cancellation. This has the effect of making them more expensive, paradoxically, but, according to the bean counters at least we will still get them.
 
safewalrus said:
The Royal Navy exists to protect the Merchant Navy! as the Merchant Navy is about non existant why do we need the former - besides which all the old enemies are now citizens of Britain now so why bother - we've bloody well surrendered already! Can't you feel the knife between your shoulder blades, curtesy of B'liar and company!

The RN does a little bit more than just act as escorts for the Merchant Navy - provision of nuclear deterrent, force for good, maintenace of security for overseas dependancies etc. It may appear gloomy to the casual observer but we have the biggest building programme that I can remember in over 20 years. Whith the CVF, T45, new LPDs, LSAs and ASTUTE etc we will have a truly world class capability.

I would not deny that there is healthy degree of cynicism, based on some well documented procurement fiascos, and there is also an element of 'jam tomorrow..' but these ships are in the yards and will be in service - if none of us believed that then we might as well all give up and go home, and giving up is not something that we serving chaps do easily...

Simple facts surrounding the Naval Bases is that we can't afford, nor do we necessarily need the number that we have at the moment. Which one goes and who stays is anyonme's guess at the moment, the one thing certain is that it will be a long term decision and certainly not something that happens overnight.
 
silverfox said:
The T45 issue, as explaine to us by the DEC is more a case of delaying the last 2 into the next financial round, not a total cancellation. This has the effect of making them more expensive, paradoxically, but, according to the bean counters at least we will still get them.

Perhaps, accepting a delay indicate the need was not as strong as first stated, and can be used as an excuse for forcing cancellation later, after all they will cost even more. The trouble with the treasury is that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Peter
 
silverfox said:
The RN does a little bit more than just act as escorts for the Merchant Navy

Tut tuf SF not escort - but lead through and accompaniment

Tools 118 and 121 ATP 2 Vol 1

(unclass before the mods go into orbit)

http://www.marine.de/02DB070000000001/vwContentByKey/W26QWFNL046INFODE/$File/ATP_2(B)_Vol_1.pdf
 
never being one to ignore a tut tut Rosina.....

I was merely referring to m'colleague safewalrus' comment, not going into the tactical nitty gritty - and as one who has conducted both the operations to which you refer, I am aware of the difference (and just how patronising does THAT sound.... but its not meant that way - honest..)

I was trying to go more down the line of doctrine, not tactics.

I'll see your ATP2 and raise you BR 1806........
 
silverfox said:
never being one to ignore a tut tut Rosina.....

I was merely referring to m'colleague safewalrus' comment, not going into the tactical nitty gritty - and as one who has conducted both the operations to which you refer, I am aware of the difference (and just how patronising does THAT sound.... but its not meant that way - honest..)

I was trying to go more down the line of doctrine, not tactics.

I'll see your ATP2 and raise you BR 1806........

I'll trump you both with the 'Fighting Instructions'

Peter
 
silverfox said:
never being one to ignore a tut tut Rosina.....

I was merely referring to m'colleague safewalrus' comment, not going into the tactical nitty gritty - and as one who has conducted both the operations to which you refer, I am aware of the difference (and just how patronising does THAT sound.... but its not meant that way - honest..)

I was trying to go more down the line of doctrine, not tactics.

I'll see your ATP2 and raise you BR 1806........

Don't mind me hun, am just a humble MTO(N)!
 
no such thing... always glad to be picked up by someone who has knowledge and pride in their profession.. and as my next job may well be boss of an RNR unit...
 
silverfox said:
no such thing... always glad to be picked up by someone who has knowledge and pride in their profession.. and as my next job may well be boss of an RNR unit...

Surely not SF! Someone who can (a) use a computer (b) has his/her finger on the pulse of popular culture and (c) appears in all other respects to have a sense of humour?

No you will never fit in!
 

Latest Threads

Top