Close and clip the shed!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SONAR-BENDER, Aug 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shamelessly 'borrowed' from our next door nieghbours..............

Maybe Billy could get one of these.

Doggy looks well puzzled - can't be a Sea Dog - fnar fnar!!
  2. No such word as close, its shut.

So shut and clip your part 3 lip.

Nice neighbour te he
  3. No integrity flashes red/ orange. But what a corker of a door. Didn't know Bogie Knights did continental deliveries.

4. Now I'll admit to having struggled to remember, but I'm sure it was 'close and clip the lower lid' since 'shut' sounded like 'shoot'. And 'closing down bulkheads' etc.

Standing by for confirmation, then I'll sign off YOUR Pt III book!

Shhhhhhhh - neighbour as in ARRSE...........
  5. Upper lid shut, one clip, two clips , one pin, two pins, upper lid shut two clips two pins.

Report the upper lid.

Upper lid dry .

Shut the lower lid.

Only thing closed was breakers
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. When i was in it was close all watertight hatches and doors and assume whatever condition
  7. Top Stop is quite correct! It's was always "shut" as opposed to "close" in the days of we diesel dinosaurs. I do recall one instance however, when a Middie we had onboard for what would now becalled work experience, (whom had previously been bollocked for using the word "close") made the classsic pipe "Attack team shut up"!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

But above the waves without the smell of diesel it was always 'Close all scuttles and screen doors' for entering harbour.
  9. Don't think there is any use in bandying adjectives, after the "collision " alarm sounds Jack is a tad too occupied closing or shutting anything with a red flash on it rather than discussing "Close or Shut ".
  10. There are probably a few different terms used for the same drills between the surface fleet and the sleek black messengers of death below, as in “ooh look a submarine” and “target bears that”
  11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Now that name is a blast from the past. Is his store still in operation?
  12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It is obvioulsy an upper deck screen door, and as such is therefore 'closed' along, with hatches and red openings. Not having such things in black tubes, you couldn't be expected to know...
  13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Not, so. Ships "close down to Zulu Alpha", and "standby for collision forward, close all red openings."
    You also close breakers, but that's a different subject.

Maybe it's a submariner thing??
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

My time in boats the word was always shut. Use closed or close and shit would fall upon you from a great height
  15. It's obviously an open and shut case!
  16. True .

Vaguely remember someone singing, to the tune of Chatanuga chew chew,

Pardon me boy, we`re closing down to zulu alfa.

Carnt remember any more
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  17. tiddlyoggy

Yes, I've got the words to that in my old ditty box I think, a book of Jack songs from an old sods opera, I'll have a look later.
  18. Action stations again,we're closing down to Zulu Alpha, respirators are on , air conditioning is gone, as far as I can remember
  19. tiddlyoggy

Was the opening line not: "Portland again"?
    Probably just a FOST variant.