Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clock off for a smoke! Why dont the Navy save money!

Polto

War Hero
yamyamdabber said:
Just found this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-11426787

Surprised this one hasnt popped up in the corridors of power with the amount of matelots who seem to tab up and the amount of dripping received from non tabbers about the "5 minutes off every hour"!
Standfast submarines of course, no smoking at sea when dived. In addition, when ther was smoking allowed I don't recall any one complaining about smokers having 'time off' as it were.

As a young AEM on 820 Squadron in the 80's it used to P*ss me off that every time the ACRO used to pipe the return of one of our cabs the tabbers used to spark up!!

Flight deck PO being one of them, hence all none smokers went out on the recovery!!!

All change now with the flight deck crewoom being non-tabbing!!

Not enough to start the filthy habit. However was declared as a smoker to get the blueliners for my granddad!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
When all smokers had been banned from smoking in the building :D , I was incensed about the amount of time they would take for a fag :evil: , while muggins here kept working away over a hot PC. Fistly, they were provided with a 'smoking rom', which was gopping! Then they (Big And Expensive) built them a glass bus shelter on one of the few green areas. This pi55ed me off no end, so I used to go out with them 'for a fag'! But you don't smoke, says them, so what says I!

One of the excuses the smokers used to justify time away from their desk was that 'we discuss items concerning the project' - bollix - no football, fit birds or just jokes then?

Make 'em clock off, that's what I say!!!!!! :lol:

Rumrat

War Hero
Yes and coffee at desks should be stopped and toilet breaks should be timed, and anyone taking a personal call, all these should be non paid periods. As I no longer work, I think the working week should be extended to a standard 40 hours, or 44 over 6 days.
All shops and businesses closed Sunday.
And NI should be increased to 10% so we maintain a health service that us old farts will need soon enough.
And no Alcohol at dinner time for office workers to bring them into line with manual workers.
Now where did I put that whip. 8O

Rumrat said:
Yes and coffee at desks should be stopped and toilet breaks should be timed, and anyone taking a personal call, all these should be non paid periods. As I no longer work, I think the working week should be extended to a standard 40 hours, or 44 over 6 days.
And NI should be increased to 10% so we maintain a health service that us old farts will need soon enough.
And no Alcohol at dinner time for office workers to bring them into line with manual workers.

You must be cocooned against the real world. :wink:

NI contributions are already at 11.5% and due to rise to 12% from April 2011 (link).

Rumrat

War Hero
Naval_Gazer said:
Rumrat said:

NI contributions are already at 11.5% and due to rise to 12% from April 2011 (link).

Tell you the truth I am, I have not payed any attention to NI contributions since I actually stopped receiving a salary, which was six months after my to do. I received sick pay straight into my bank from my employer, but as soon as I started receiving damages all that stopped. And all my compensatory awards are free of tax and NI encumbrances.
The only form of tax that is ever going to worry me again is VAT. :roll: :wink: :D

Rumrat

War Hero
2badge_mango said:
With all that cash loafing about Rummers, you'd better watch out for inheritance tax. 8O :lol:

2BM

"I'm going to live forever, people remember my name" :D :D :D ....

finknottle

Banned
Rumrat said:
Naval_Gazer said:
Rumrat said:

Tell you the truth I am, I have not payed any attention to NI contributions since I actually stopped receiving a salary, which was six months after my to do. I received sick pay straight into my bank from my employer, but as soon as I started receiving damages all that stopped. And all my compensatory awards are free of tax and NI encumbrances.
The only form of tax that is ever going to worry me again is VAT. :roll: :wink: :D

How lovely for you.

Rumrat

War Hero
finknottle said:
Rumrat said:
Naval_Gazer said:
Rumrat said:

How lovely for you.

Yes it is.

I used to smoke like a chimney at one time but cut back when I had to smoke in designated places.
I tended to find certain idiots followed you there and whilst a captive audience, bored me sh1tless by beating on how bad everything is/was and whilst being apathetic in "real life" were always putting everything to rights with mouth only.
Proper little Lower deck lawyers, who if they did not have it then thought no one else should. Envy is a terrible trait in a person.
Similar to stalking.

Death tax wont worry me Pete, I wont need it when I'm dead, as long as I'm not bored to death. :wink:

Rumrat

War Hero
finknottle said:
Careful you don't bore yourself to death.

Surely you don't think it was aimed at you do you? I was keeping on thread. If you see any similarities between the smokers scourge and yourself well I empathise with you how terrible.

Now I've drivel to post in lil's so would you mind terribly if I go, I promise to ignore you later.
Would you like me to contribute to any causes before I leave.
You poor politicos usually want donations, and well its only money, and now I don't smoke I can afford it.

finknottle

Banned
I do not recall asking you to make any donations but if you are as flush as you would like to have us all believe, try the Gumpathon.

Personally I like those round tins containing 50 smokes, 'One all round'.

Rumrat

War Hero
finknottle said:
I do not recall asking you to make any donations but if you are as flush as you would like to have us all believe, try the Gumpathon.

Personally Fink I don't give a rats arse what you think.
Being poor would not be a stranger to me and my compensation is not a matter I have published too much about on here.
And if you fancy going through what I did to get it feel free.

I don't see you attacking some of the posters on here who frequently flaunt their wealth.
Now I know it winds you up I might play a little.
You might need a few bob to buy a sense of humour.
And seeing as I have only had a small (very small) amount of money so far I hardly think I flaunt anything. If you are referring to my trips abroad, they are all financed by MY savings, it might have escaped your attention that I was in a well paid job until I was stabbed.
No apologies to you for the comment though as if you took your head from up your arse you would see it was humour in your oh so serious world of doom and gloom. As you said I post frivolous drivel, and I don't care what you think or ask your permission. If you want to be a grumpy bastard its your prerogative, but don't have a go at me cus it suits me to do it.
Your a long time dead.

Steve,

Have a little sympathy for poor penniless Finks - His wife squandered all his readies on their 'hand woven silk Persian'.

Must be a Cat or a Carpet, or something similarly exotic....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Clock is ticking for waste criminals as new taskforce launched MoD News 0
scouse MOD and 118 and speaking clock phone bill Diamond Lil's 0
sgtpepperband Channel 4 - 10 O'Clock Live: "Charlie Brooker's Rant About 'The Sun' Newspaper" The Internet - Best and Worst 8
dondon Cuckoo Clock Miscellaneous 1
S 11 O'Clock on the 11th Day of the 11th Month Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
cupoftea Rum Ration o'clock Site Issues 2
D A VERY INTRESTING CLOCK Social & Reunions 16
TwistedFireStarter The Death Clock Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS Negotiations on the future cost of the TV licence kick off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lift-off for new generation of space scientists MoD News 0
Waspie SBS currently involved in incident off IOW (Sunday25/10/20) Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS Lift-off for Shetland spaceport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nation's job hunt JETS off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark event for the space industry lifts off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Take-off for UK-built supercomputer nanosatellites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leads thousands of NATO troops in major exercise off Scottish coast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prepare for lift-off: Jet Zero Council to deliver carbon-free flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK kicks off Climate Week NYC with a series of ambitious climate commitments MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS UK-built nanosatellites ready for take off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House resumes voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Pond project pays off for great crested newts in Essex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume the compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Audlem Road, Stapeley, Nantwich and land off Peter De Stapeleigh Way, Nantwich (refs: 2197532/2197529 - 15 July 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to restart the voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA secures loan write-off from payday lender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £105 million to keep rough sleepers safe and off the streets during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Qatari Typhoons take off as joint squadron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home work pays off for LLWR MoD News 0
B How soon will the commonwealth hold be taken off please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Team spirit pays off for Distington residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Station Road, Long Melford, Suffolk (ref: 3214377 - 1 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First new ventilators to roll off production line this weekend as industry answers call to step up manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll working rules reforms postponed until 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coarse fishing on rivers is off limits for three months MoD News 0
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Market exploration: roll on roll off and containerised freight screening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help businesses with off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s first industrial contribution to International Space Station ready for take off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Tech Rocketship Awards take off in Taiwan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Muc-Off pays beach clean charity after failing to recycle packaging MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK is helping connect off-grid communities across Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll review launched MoD News 0