Cleverest Chef in the Fleet!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ollie-O, Oct 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...y/30/150730-liverpool-phd-student-turns-navel chef

He knows what's good for him! Wonder if all that brain power will revolutionise scran? In any case, happy he chose the 'right' branch! The fact he'll be the most academically qualified guy onboard should stop him turning bitter and twisted :D

Anyone know of any other people who joined a branch they were insanely overqualified for?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hmm link doesn't seem to work... Annoying. This is why I only work with spuds...

3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah yes, I remember now. Square peg, round hole, big hammer.

Applicant: "I want to be a fast jet pilot"
    AFCO: "Of course you do. Evertonian, eh? No problem. Only in the Navy, we call them Logistician Food Prep. You're in luck - We're short of them as it happens...." :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. If he was a Kopite, you would have required a Norweigan interpreter :)

7. And a much bigger hammer :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

I have in my time, trained a Stoker with a PhD and a WEA Tiff with an MSc in Astrophysics.

Ninje, you've sold your potential candidate short. The correct TAFMIS(R) entry code term for Naval Aviator is Logistician Food Prep (Submariner)...

• Like Like x 2
  9. He may be clever, but can he produce boiled potatoes that are soft in the middle. THAT is a challenge (apparently).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Or like a Politics PhD, soft throughout. It's not rocket science.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Who called the chef a cretin?
    Who called the cretin a chef?

12. We had an OEM/LOEM on Ghurkha, with 2 degrees, back then in the 70’s not an easy task, they asked him if he wanted to join as an officer and he said no, they almost gave him his hook for showing up for his PQE paper, he intended to use the Navy as a break from studying and have a party, and he partied, stay in the mob for a few year and go and get a real job. I was through drafted to Danae so lost touch with what happen to him.

13. BZ to him.

(I don't suppose they delayed the announcement until he had completed the Chef's course....)

.... Just in case he failed it.

Coat! Taxi!!

14. Good to see you back Bob.

15. On my last ship the Sprog SA had a degree in aerospace engineering, but apparently due to a criminal record wasn't allowed to be an officer.
    My old Corporal SA at CLR had history and maths degrees too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Interestingly, you cannot be an SA with an unspent conviction for dishonesty, but the rules with regard SC for Officers is no different to Ratings. Odds are, if your SA lied about his criminal conviction barring entry as an Officer, he is likely to have lied about completing an aerospace degree also. If he wasn't lying about the degree, the odds are he was telling porkies about the reason he was not an Officer - like the fact that only about a third of graduates actually score high enough in the recruit test to be eligible to apply as an officer. Degrees do not an Officer make.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Or a chef.

• Like Like x 2
  18. It will not make him a chef but will give him a nice little certificate to hang on the galley wall, if the SO lets him.

19. SO? LO perhaps!

And I very much doubt if he will be allowed to hang anything on the kitchen wall.

20. Sorry forgot we had Chef/cooks on here, SO Supply Officer, and hang on wall was figuratively speaking, warning people that wanted to take the piss out of Chefs (most matelots) to sod off