Clearance Diver Recruitment

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by eddietheboyp, Apr 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone

I am considering a career as Clearance Diver, however I was wondering are they actually recruiting at the moment and how often do they accept a new intake for example once a year? Twice a year? Or every month?

Secondly, does anybody have any advice on material that I should learn in preparation for an application such as diving knowledge? I am already trying to read as much as I can about the Royal Navy itself. I am more concerned about learning specific areas of information related to diving which may be necessary.

As regards to fitness, that’s coming along quite nicely.

Many thanks
  2. Eddie

There is a waiting list for Diver Entry of some 18 months, but you should still call in now at your local AFCO for a chat and the Introductory Presentation - just start the ball rolling.
  3. If you are accepted on course, you will be taught everything you need to know about RN diving theory and practice including diving physiology and medicine, Boyle's Law of Gases, Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures, Henry's Law, gas mixtures for different depths, diving illnesses, diving safety including emergency drills, first aid, etc. A surprising amount of maths is involved in calculating solutions to given problems.

Apart from getting yourself generally fit CV-wise and improving your lower and upper body strength (crunches, sit-ups, press-ups, dips, pull-ups, etc.), you could also concentrate on 'water awareness', i.e. being comfortable in the water, with or without breathing equipment. As well as running, a good way to develop some of the other required muscle groups and build up stamina is to get yourself a pair of fins and surface-swim on your back for some distance without splashing. You will find this quite different to ordinary swimming and you'll be doing a fair bit of it if you pass the initial entry phase.