Clear for Action, The Calvinists are Coming!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Passed-over_Loggie, May 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32789631
    There was a certain inevitability about this when the Jocks decided to be more European. Great, if that's what they wanted; it's part of "devolution". That spreading beyond their boundaries, though, smacks of "federalism".

Add to this the implication that women need special consideration but the "remedy" must affect blokes as well really is pushing our patience. Singling out women as special cases is, in itself, pretty distasteful

Anyway, the bit that really grips me is the practical effects on civilised social living. For me, that means stopping for a pint of fine ale would make me a criminal. It means that, as the nearest decent pub to me is in the middle of bum f**k nowhere, that hostelry will be out of the reach of me and my palls along with most of the other patrons. That should add to the already high pub closure rate.

OK, this is just the political wing of the scuffs gobbing off but some of those buggers would have us in a "police state", given the chance. What's the betting, though, that the public safety Gauleiters, prohibitionists and the generally holier-than-thou chuff point seekers will seize this like a mentally retarded chimp with a banana?

Standing by for the thoughts of the eternal Crushers. [​IMG]

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I nearly puked when I saw Cameron rushing up to Edinburgh to see Sturgeon. Has he so soon forgotten that he is the Prime Minister, holding an overall majority? She should be dancing to his tune not the reverse.

3. I don't see changing the drink/drive limit in England as being a priority for the Tory Government. They have plenty of donors in the entertainment sector who will be happy to retain the current level.
    As for Cameron rushing up to Scotland to see the very loquacious Ms Sturgeon if it serves to shut her up for a while I'm all for it.

4. Seems to me that the mentally retarded chimp wrote the opening post!
    What part of don't drink and drive is it that you fail to grasp?
    Absolutely agree with you that women should not be singled out re drinking and driving, but the question remains, what part of don't drink and drive has escaped you?
    I wont bother posting links to drink/drive studies as you would probably be too pissed to read them, but pretty sure if you slur the idea to one or two of your favorite landlords they will be only too pleased to point you in the general direction.

5. Oh dear Dabtoe11, ruffled some feathers? You might be one of the saintly ones I had in mind.

If you have any verifiable statistics on the difference between deaths and then injuries at the 80 + mg/ml concentration and the 5o mg to 80 mg concentration, I'd be glad to see them.

6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

He can't chance the English media seeing him meet Sturgeon so he comes to darkest Edinburgh where electricity has not yet been invented and there are no hotel rooms able to put up the media in the manner to which they are accustomed!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fixed that for you.

The delux suite. Complete with en-suite bath and terrace.

Pigsty_St_Fagans_2.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Luxury! A bath FFS!! Does it come with instructions for use?

9. Indeed.

Do not use more than once a year, otherwise the water becomes dirty and we need to change it by carrying it up the brae wi' a bucket. Ya sassenach bastards.

10. Sure, help yourself, I found the Irish one down around page 30 and it makes for some interesting reading.
    I am by no means a saint where booze is concerned but I fail to see why anyone would want to go against a complete ban on drinking and driving

http://etsc.eu/

If that doesn't work you could always google Drink Driving Towards Zero Tolerance - ETSC

11. Dabtoe11, thanks. It didn't answer the exam question but Fig 1 on Page 11 was about the closest. No clues on how the estimate was arrived at but probably good enough to build a Risk to Benefit Assessment.

As the retarded chimp presentation portrayed, you probably don't live in bum f**k nowhere and don't really care about country pubs.

12. I actually do live outside the UK now, but that does not absolve me from caring about what happens there, (I also pay my UK taxes before any r,sole decides to comment) and I do care about the loss of the traditional English pub/pint, so my sympathy does lie with you in that respect, we differ in that I absolutely detest any thought that a limit should be set re drink/drive, as far as I am concerned it should be zero, unfortunately/fortunately I now live in Portugal where drinking and driving seem to be acceptable, I cannot change the law where I live but I can be a gobby bastard and let my views be known, as all ex matelots should. :)

13. None for the road, end of. I can't see a problem with it and I'd be quite happy with a zero tolerance stance on booze and driving.

• Like Like x 1
  14. As for you Granny, never thought why he is dancing to her tune? Not even a passing thought as to why he almost begged Salmond not to go ahead with the referendum?
    Nothing?

15. It works quite well in Norway, mandatory 2 weeks in nick IIRC and you can book your two weeks so it doesn't impact on your job.

16. MLP, Zero won't work, as some diseases/human internals produce a very small amount of 'alcohol' as a by-product of metabolism. But a near as dammit zero limit would.

I live in Spain now (and also contribute regularly to HMRC!) Here the limit is 25 as far as I know. This does not stop me going out to bars and restaurants. I am the only driver in the family, so it would be a nightmare if I were to lose my licence. However, I am used to either not drinking when out or drinking shandy. I also have an electronic breathalyser in the cat for those 'oops, better just check' moments. The Guardia Civil are VERY strong on checks, frequently shutting down an entire roundabout and checking everyone that comes by. That said, they are (allegedly) quite grown up about 'doing you'. For example (as I understand it - no wish to find out for sure) if you are just over, they say, prat, drive carefully home. Rising to, get a taxi home and pay the fine. Come with us now and pay the huge fine. And mind your fingers.

England - it is coming! Public pressure or the EU will ensure it happens, probably sooner rather than later.

17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If you are suggesting that Faslane, and a possible closure, is the reason, then it may have been with Salmond but, since the referendum didn't go his way, the problem doesn't arise. I re-iterate...he has a majority government so he calls the shots. That is if he is man enough!

18. SONAR-BENDER, that sounds about right. Accepting that the perceived inevitable is inevitable is the first step to it being self fulfilling, though.

19. And pubs have a greater profit margin from soft drinks.

20. Sonar Bender.

Why is there a breathalyser in the cat?
    Never seen a pissed moggie driving a car
    on the wrong side of the road before.
    Maybe they allow it in foreign lands,
    but cats don't drive cars in England.