Cleaning cotton caps

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by AntC, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been given, a nice Gieves cotton cap, but was hoping to clean it before I wear it (the last owner hasn't worn it for quite a while, and it's not as white as it could be!)

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about cleaning the cap?

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Give it to your steward.
  3. I was hoping for something a little more proactive on my part! lol :)
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

AntC: Perhaps you should be a little bit more proactive in your efforts to clean it, rather than blaming someone else for their answer... :thumright:
  5. Cillit Bang.

6. Some people recommend toothpaste or Steradent for cleaning plastic cap covers or even painting them with Humbrol white enamel. Bleach and other strong cleaners only turn them yellow. I suggest you replace your nasty plastic cap cover with a proper cotton pique version that can be laundered over and over again. Available for purchase online here.
  7. That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm on here asking for advice because I'm struggling to be proactive cleaning it. I haven't been around that long, I'm not exactly going to know everything without help am I?
  8. Does the cover come off at all (They usually do)?
    If so, just dhobey it as cotton.
    Don't tumble dry it though or it will only be fit for a fez!
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, ever heard of asking your LHOM, PO PoS, Div. SR, DO for this help?! At least you'll get a straight answer... :wink:
  10. I suppose that washing it is out of the question?
  11. PMSL :thumright:
  12. I used to use hydrogen peroxide solution to soak out the yellowness from my wing collars when I was at school.