Cleaning caps

GievesMan

How would you spruce up a cap like this one below? Have absolutely no idea on cleaning the cap. I would like to clean the whole cap including its cover and the doeskin underneath it as well. Its an old 1980s Thieves & Sharks cap.

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Remove old cloth cover, replace with brand new same size replacement from G&H, result.

Wear it like it is and parade around like an old salt :)

When I got my kilicks rate I was at Wyton with limited RN slops, another old and bold kilick gave me a set of "Red" rate badges, they were faded and light grey and Red :) I wore them for years..... I then became a Red Badge PO and on my return to Yeovilton the RN had been wearing gold for at least a year.

Seadog

War Hero
Keep it minging, wear it arse about face, presto: U Boat Commander.

Or ( badge change to CPO ), presto: Chief Tiff in ‘The Cruel Sea.’

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Keep it minging, wear it arse about face, presto: U Boat Commander.

Or ( badge change to CPO ), presto: Chief Tiff in ‘The Cruel Sea.’
Actually, you may laugh, but I eschewed berets and wore a cap in a not dissimilar state to the OP's photo - with a solid brass King's Crown CPO's cap badge (bought for 50p in a 2nd hand shop in Guz, next to the Eagle pub!) for many moons. Was asked about the cap badge twice, both times BS won and I was never bothered again.

Some thieving twat took it off my lid one lunchtime when it was hanging up outsde the SR's Dining Hall in Faslamabad.

Suitably rolled, the cap would fit in the back pocket of my 8s!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Actually, you may laugh, but I eschewed berets and wore a cap in a not dissimilar state to the OP's photo - with a solid brass King's Crown CPO's cap badge (bought for 50p in a 2nd hand shop in Guz, next to the Eagle pub!) for many moons. Was asked about the cap badge twice, both times BS won and I was never bothered again.

Some thieving twat took it off my lid one lunchtime when it was hanging up outsde the SR's Dining Hall in Faslamabad.

I had a cap not dissimilar, it was the first one I had after I picked my PO's up. The Chief Tiff grabbed it and took the wire grommet out so it was a "proper" cap as he put it.

Seadog

War Hero

An old and I mean OLD Chief Tiff of my acquaintance said of berets: ‘if I’d wanted to wear a beret I’d have been a Bootneck.’ He held wooly pullies in the same contempt.

Moleskin reefer, medal ribbons from Suez and other old campaigns, U Boot C/O’s steaming cap. He was mega! No one had been in long enough to insist he wore rig of the day.

Seadog

War Hero
Unwritten rule at Yeovilton for SR's. Berets for Junglies, Caps for Zoomies..

Lynx Fags.....who cares :)
There was a time at HMS SULTAN when any Officer or Senior Rate, Staff or Student who wore a beret was made to play with the traffic on Military Road, blindfolded. Joining instructions were quite clear.