Classic SF (Science Fiction type, not Bravo Two Zero)

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Good_CO, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was lent a copy of a collection of HG Wells' novels. The first I read, as anyone military would, was War of the Worlds. I'd heard the record but fortunately not seen the Tom Cruise film, so was expecting a reasonably good book. Excellent. This was written in the last 1800s and yet he had the martians communicating between machines 'electronically', included flight, had his martians employing mobile armoured warfare, and included a bit of NBC of a sort.

Added to that the martians basically follow a path through my home as a kid, and even leave London to the North through another area I know well.

All in all an excellent book and thoroughly recommended. There are loads of cheap copies, either new, in second hand bookshops or on ebay so worth grabbing next time you come across one. The RA and the RN get a bit of a pasting though.

I'm now on "The Island of Dr Moreau" and thoroughly enjoying it. Pretty horrible stuff though - it's a biological science gone mad book. Hopefully not as depressing as The Invisible Man.

So bring forth your classic SF experiences. Oh and I should throw in, I also recently tried Jules Verne's Jouney to the Centre of the earth. Not really SF and utterly shite. How he thought he could write a full novel about wandering around in tunnels lost I have no idea.

2. Is that the book about the crazy guy who crosses human DNA over with animal's DNA to make hybreds and it all goes wrong?

3. Jenny,

I think that he tried to cross an Owl with a Skunk, and ended up with a hybrid animal that didn't seem to give a hoot about the smell.

Jerry

4. :)

There's all sorts of wierdness - I just finished the chase scene. Wierd humanesque creature seen drinking like an animal on all fours, then proceeds to stalk our hero, then chase him along a beach (Good CO is hiding behind the pillow at this point... popping up to read word at a time), but hero makes a makeshift weapon from a gentleman's fine silk hankerchief (never let a shipwreck, a rescue, being thrown over the side of second ship and a couple of day's on a mad scientist's island separate you from your hankerchief) and a stone, and gives the poor creature a good one to the heed. As if the poor lab-experiement-gone-wrong hadn't had enough bad luck for one lifetime.

Good CO breaths again, but when our hero arrives home it seems that the mad scientist is enjoying a bit of human vivisection and... that's as far as I got.

5. First time seeing 'War of the Worlds' with Gene Barry (Burke's Law etc) as a youngster - verrry scary with the three eyed monster !

All the later versions of all you mention here seem to depend too much on CAD these days, but that's not to say I don't enjoy them (I'm a bit of a SF freak...) - but the plastic monster/alien appearing suddenly out of the blue ....... as opposed to the obvious computer generated baddie.

What of '1984' - getting a bit too factual these days perhaps ?

:)

6. depends realy if your a science fiction fan or a science fantasy fan..
    to very different styles...... yet both rewarding..........

7. 1984 is a classic, really enjoyed Starship Troopers by Heinlein too. Shame the film was a bit sh1te.

8. Picked up these when they first came out, and really liked them, Richard Burton does the narration, and I thought overall they did the original book justice...ever get the chance check them out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne's_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds

http://www.chrisspedding.com/session/jw/jw1.htm

I liked the Time Machine by H.G.Wells and the original movie... :thumright:

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

10. That hunter in Bambi was scary!!

Anyhow, talking of 'War of the Worlds'.............was it true, when this was played over the USA Radio, they actually thought they were being invaded?

11. Nah, sorry JD. That was the Orson Welles' radio play before the war. I've got a copy, and he did mention at the start that it was a play. At the end he repeated the fact, but by that time switchboards were jammed all over the state! Teehee!
    They had to apologise for weeks after too!
    ...still makes me laugh thinking about it!
    Fave film would be the origional 1953 War of the Worlds, or The Day The Earth Stood Still. They got the US military attitude right on that film!
    Anyone else?

12. OOOPS! just noticed you DID say the radio play!

13. loved that film... the robot Gort... was very scary....

14. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'm a bit of a Fantasy freak myself (not that sort!) I love Tolkien, Tad Williams, David Eddings etc, I do occasionally dabble in Sci Fi though, the best of these I have ever read is Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep by Philip Dick Sounds bizarre but is absolutely brilliant. Surprisingly the best thing to come out of the book is the film Blade Runner Ridley Scott really captured the fantastic future world atmosphere although the film as ever is not as good as the book.

15. David Eddings is my all time fav... writter.... have all of his books,, lost count now how many times i have read them.......

16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Yep they're books you can read again and again, there's also David Gemmel who sadly died prematurely recently and Raymond Feist both brilliant. Best fantasy book I have read recently: Orcs by Stanley Nicholls, absolutely enthralling a brilliant book with a twist, it's written from the perspective of the bad guys!

17. Ahhhh sci-fi. [Nerdmode].

The day the earth stood still is being remade for a 2008 release with Keanu Reeves as Klaaltu http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

Another of my favourite books/films, "Invasion of the bodysnatchers" was just remade as "Invasion" with Nicole Kidman

I too loved Phillip K Dicks short stories, "we can rememeber it for you , wholesale", the basis for "Total Recall", "The Golden man",(Next-Nic Cage), "Miniorty report", not a bad film adaptation although I despise Cruise, I prefer Gary Sinise in "Imposter". I read the followup blade runner books "Edge of Human" for example, and some jar with the film events, but they're still worth a read, albeit written by K.W. Jeter, they keep Dicks paranoia and feel.

I loved Jeff Waynes War of the worlds records, Richard Burtons narration is outstanding, but I do giggle a bit during the David Essex bits. The Orson Wells radio play is also worth a listen. I was a bit of a HG Wells fan as a kid, I liked "The Time machine" best. I prefer the 1953 WOTW film, although its deeply indicative of the politics of the day, it seems more in keeping with sci fi than sci fact as the Cruise film tries to be too "it can happen...look"

I suppose two of my favourite sci-fi authors would be Asimov and John Wyndham. The Midwich Cuckoos, The Chrysalids (Wyndham) and Pebble in the Sky and The Stars like Dust (Asimov) off the top of my head. Im pleased to see Asimovs works getting more exposure in film, although they do rob heavily from him even for stories like "A.I." which is based on a Brian Aldiss short story (Supertoys last all summer long). I think the "I,Robot" film may pave the way for more of R.Daneel Ovilaw and Elijah Bailey, but of course with Susan Calvin and USR having been so popular I fear some films may end up as mish mashes of the anthologies.

Heres a bit of an obscure one I really enjoyed, by a longtime friend of Asimov's, check out the Joymaker....;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_the_Pussyfoot

[/nerdmode] off to go mow the lawn or something...my skin is turning grey... :study:

18. Did not know that Gemel had died, damn good author, one of my favorites.

For those who like scfi, you might want to try the Honor Harrington series by David Weber

19. Robert Heinlien's 'Starship Troopers' is bloody brilliant. Strangely enough, so is 'Battlefield Earth' by L Ron Hubbard. The man may have invented a bizzare religion, but he writes a good dit!

Pity the films of both books were shite!