Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matta2, Jun 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hey I am 27 years old have worked in the plumbing industry since I left school. However I have become interested in joining the navy as a ET marine engineer. As I would like to widen my skills. I believe this job is the one that will use my skills picked up in the plumbing industry the most out of any job in the navy. Is this correct? I would be taking quite a big pay cut to join, but can promotion be quick in this trade?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Marine Engineering is probably more closely aligned to a vehicle mechanic in the civilian sector, although the hull/shipwright aspect does involve a pipe-fitting element and the branch does maintain domestic freshwater, air conditioning & heating systems.

    Qualified tradespersons such as vehicle mechanics, welders, fitter/turners, toolmakers, plumbers & electricians sometimes fall between the cracks with regard wages/employment within the Navy. Often they fall short of being educationally qualified to join in a supervisory role as an engineering officer but are technically "over-qualified/experienced" when joining as an engineering rating.

    There are talks of recruiting Direct Entry skilled tradespersons with automatic accelerated advancement (promotion) to Petty Officer or Chief Petty Officer but nothing is actually in print as I type, to my knowledge.

    There are fast-track schemes in the technical branches and it is feasible to achieve an annual income around the £30k mark under current schemes within 3-4 years. Trouble is - can you afford to be earning less than £20k for 4 years?

    My advice? Sit tight and wait to see if a direct entry scheme is introduced for those such as yourself who have the extra skills & qualifications. It could make a significant difference to your earnings potential & if it is going to happen, it will hopefully be introduced this year.

    You could start the selection process, with no obligation to join and wait to see if things develop in your favour before joining. Dig out your certificates - they could be of value. For ET(ME) you could join in less than 6 months under the current scheme, incidentally but you can defer entry if you wish.

    Good luck.
  3. Stay as a plumber, even a four ring Captain on megabucks can't afford a plumbers call out fee:(
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Scandalous innit. You only need to learn the phrase "Your boiler is knackered, missus" and you're paying the higher rate of income tax. ;)
  5. If ME is 6 months-ish, any idea how long WE and CIS is currently please? I have my RT test coming up and aiming for WE but CIS looks good too!!!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Off the top of my head, I think they're both about 8-10 months.
  7. Thanks for the informative reply Ninja_stoker. The direct entry skilled tradespersons option would be great if it becomes an option for trades people applying. One of my reasons for wanting to join is to learn new skills. I have an interest in working in the branch that as you said looks after the ship fresh drinking water, I believe this is by reverse osmosis. Were would be the best place to keep informed about the possible direct entry skilled tradesperson option?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Best bet is via your local AFCO (contact details on the AFCO link in my signature).

    If or when the direct entry/accelerated advancement route is introduced, it'll probably be announced here also.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    As foretold:
  10. Praise the Oracle :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Bless you, child. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the reply. However I am a plumber so don't have engineering qualifications :(.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Really? I thought you needed an NVQ Diploma in Installing and Maintaining Domestic Heating Systems and/or NVQ Diploma in Domestic Plumbing and Heating in order to be a qualified plumber.
  14. Thanks for the reply I have and NVQ in plumbing and heating. However I don't have the.
    • Formal academic engineering qualification at Level 4 (HNC or equivalent)
    So I am guessing I wouldn't qualify?
  15. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    If you have NVQ4 in plumbing, it may well be worth digging out your certificate(s) so your AFCO can take copies & check their validity for you.
  16. Thanks, sadly the NVQ in plumbing only goes up to level 3.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Guess I will have to apply for rating and hope my skills from the plumbing and heating industry help me get promoted quick.

Share This Page