Civilian Jobs for ET(WE)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jack!, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I start my basic in four weeks and although I do not see myself leaving the RN for a considerable amount of time I feel I should know what opportunities are available to me in "civi street".

I would have thought that something as niche as weapons engineering outside the military would have limited options but high salaries. Am I correct in my assumptions and is there industry, other than defense which may require these skills?

Thanks in advance,

2. Whilst I applaud your forward thinking, I'm at odds to see why you're looking at leaving before you've even joined.
  3. What is odd about someone who thinks of the future?
    I joined the RN in 1963 to get a trade. I left in 1985 with a trade and skills that were easily transferable to civilian life.
  4. I did state that I applauded his forward thinking.

Before you joined in 63 were you already looking to get out ?

I agree that future transferable skills should be taken into account when choosing a career.
  5. I will admit to only expecting to complete my nine years and then returning to civie street with a fully skilled greenies union card.
    However as by that time I had been rated PO I decided that life in a blue suit was OK so stayed and completed pension time :p
    To my way of thinking it is acceptable for a youngster or in these days even an older person looking at life after the Grey Funnel line, and choosing his branch to suit this 8)
  6. One of the most important reasons for me recatting from Golly to Greenie was because of the career prospects once I returned to civvy life. This was in the days when the operators also undertook Seamanship tasks as well.
    God that comment sounds so "old" :)
    I received a lot of resentment from other Seaman for doing this but I feel that it was down to envy. I couldn't care less as instead of having a middle watch every four days I was going to get one every 16 days instead. Bring it on :)

Anyways, back on track. Being a Greenie (Pinkie variation - Radar, comms, EW, Sonar instead of guns and missiles) allowed me many a foot in the door for interviews when I left in '96 after completing mechs course and getting redundancy. You will have tickets and experience in working with\on varied electronic equipment. As an engineer, the rules for which way current goes is no different from which way current goes in civvy street.
    I ended up falling into the IT industry and worked in that field in differing guises until we moved to Malta for the wife's job and I became a house husband (didn't see that one coming at all). It is not easy doing this job - honest! Just think: Being permanent mess chefs, dhoby waller and dining hall party ...

Editied once as I have Alzeihmers and forgot to type what I wanted to in the first place!
  7. I have a friend at Manchester university studying Aerospace engineering. On his course he knows an ex-RAF engineering technician.

So you could most likely go on to do an engineering degree- the OU do some engineering courses and I believe a few universities allow people with "relevant professional experience" on a case-by-case basis onto the courses.

If you want to carry on with weapons engineering:

They do post-graduate courses for engineering grads. Things like "weapons systems design". :thumright:
  8. S_B, I do understand your point but I don't think Jack's looking at leaving before he's joined as much as knowing that he will have to leave at some point and considering what his options are likely to be when that eventually happens. Not an unreasonable question to ask and infinitely preferably to the "what sort of suitcase should I take to Raleigh" type of question we usually see.

seeing as you are looking into your future career prospects, as a WE Engineering Technician you will work on a whole range of equipment, not only the weapons themselves but the the electronics side of the ship's sensors such as the radar, sonar and communications equipment. You will find yourself working on chilled water systems, low pressure air systems, gyros, gearboxes, and even generators and diesel engines. In fact, anything you can take a screwdriver, spanner or hammer to will be likely to receive your attention at some time or other.

As you go up the promotion ladder during your career you will slowly begin to develope a more managerial approach so you will require to develope your organisational skills, not only with manpower but also the dreaded paperwork side of the job. You can become responsible for your section planning during a whole ship refit, or may even become part of an Integrated Project Team responsible for a particular type of equipment throughout the fleet. How far you go is up to you and how hard you want to push yourself.

You might consider Weapon Engineering to be niche but when you consider what you are able to achieve in your career in the navy you will readily be able to transfer those skills to civilian employment. Take a look on the 'Monster' job website and look at the wide range of roles available for engineers and see what's available. There is a whole range of jobs available from multi-skilled engineers/technicians to jobs in the nuclear industry and, yes, experts in weapons systems. See what qualifications and experience are being asked for and the type of salaries being paid.

Any opportunity you get to do a course whilst in the Navy, however obscure, do it. It might not seem relevent at the time but there's no guarantee you'll do engineering when you leave and that odd course might just be the opening in a different career path. You'll also receive a PDR (personal developement record) when you join. Use it. You won't remember everything you've done during your time in the mob but it will act as a historical record and documentary evidence you will be able to present to a future employer as proof of what you are experienced in and capable of. It might be the difference between you getting the job paying 50 grand a year or the bloke next to you getting it.
  9. I was on a module with another fellow from my year who claimed his previous degree in fabrication/engineering involved a project wherein the group created a side-arm made completely from high-grade plastics/composite materials. The only item missing was ammunition for it naturally and it was expected the weapon would function for at least a couple of accurate shots before losing stability.
  10. ^ That seems a little flawed.

How would you know without the ammunition?

Anyway Weapons systems design was just an example :p

11. Similar to anything involving materials/environment/conditions analysis and very educated estimation to a point e.g. Rocket launches can be predicted in terms of fuel burn, range and accuracy by analysing the materials/trajectory and doing numerous physics calculations from all aspects to minimise risk.

I'm not sure how this would work in the gun instance though I'd imagine that comparing the composite plastic version with a real handgun in terms of molecular density and the material's resistance to force from the ballistic aspect you would possibly be able to factor these (and no doubt many others) into an equation of some description that would give you a rough, but potentially very accurate, estimation of the overall product's capability with ammunition.

This is all just conjecture however, as I have no idea how the people working on this actually calculated the ability of the gun without firing though I imagine (being clever folk these boffins) that it would be very possible.

Here's a quick article on predicting gun barrel erosion

And I know weapons design was just an example on your part, it just so happened to remind me of my days at Uni you trumpet :)
  12. Alternatively, the guy could've been talking complete and utter Sh1te 8O :D
  13. Now there's a focussed course choice for the OP to turn to once/IF he finishes with the Navy :lol:

Also noticed this from a quick search:

"The article implied that the CIA made several prototype nonmetallic guns using "a super-hard ceramic material" originally developed for the exhaust valves in General Motors auto engines. The stuff "literally has the strength of steel," the article said. "The agency considered the material so important to national security that it reportedly had its formula classified, thereby preventing GM from marketing it."

"The gun depicted was a small automatic pistol. A magazine of bullets loaded into the handle. When you pulled the trigger, a plastic spring drove the bolt/slide mechanism forward, pushing a bullet from the magazine into the chamber and firing it. The bullet had no case and apparently was the equivalent of a cannonball with a powder charge behind it. The propellant ignited in two stages to keep the chamber pressure low enough that the gun didn't blow up in your hand. The bullet itself could be ceramic or aluminum."

Dubious sources, but apparently claimed as true by an American mag called "Modern Gun" :? Who knows, but I'm sure in today's day and age it's only a matter of time, if not already.
  14. I've heard about that weapon before. It featured in one of the "Die Hard" films ;)