Civilian accreditation

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by davespink40, Jan 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been a LET (WE) since 2005 and I am going outside next year after time done.
    I am trying to find out if there is any civilian engineering accreditation for my LOM© course which was done in 2003, and if so how do I go about getting hold of this.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. On a 'serious' note.
    Your time in the service will count more than a leading hands course.
    After time done you should be able to follow directions, be punctual, somewhat reliable that kind of thing.
    Unfortunately you did not progress far enough in the promotion ladder to gain any usable civilian qualifications.

4. It is a complete myth that employers believe that ex-forces are some super-reliable, wonderful time keeping, direction-following machine.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lol that I can believe.
    Trying to give the lad some hope ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgtpepperband

Apart from the nice handbook you get from the Resettlement Course, believe almost nothing you are told by the Advisors. Unless you have a niche skill or specific qualifications, there is no "secret network" of ex-serving personnel climbing over themselves to offer service leavers employment. Despite what the staff in the Resettlement Office tell you, smoke does not blow out of your arse.

Start your job hunting now; CVs and application forms take time to complete and submit. HR departments take a long time to sift through the relevant paperwork; do not assume you will be invited for interview, let alone have your application acknowledged. The sift process (from application to interview, from offer of a contract to your first day at work) can take many months.

Expect - and accept - rejection; never convince yourself you've got a job until you're actually there (and never expect it will be yours forever; many companies take people on who have already worked for them via employment agencies. They will often have a probation period, during which you can be turfed out overnight, to make space for the next lucky applicant).

Always be looking for the next stage of your career: it's easier to get a job if you're in a job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Very well put by sgtp. There are many, particularly techy chaps/chapesses who carve out a very successful further second career, but there are also very many who don't. I would certainly think PO or below you are not particularly well positioned regarding your RN service and it's very much up to you to rebuild, possibly almost from scratch. Amongst my close mates are a former WE Tiff 1 who is doing computer stuff from home and is, to my knowledge, certainly not raking it in; a former WO Writer on about 20/22K doing housing stuff; a former Chief Stoker who is driving round in a van doing council (or whatever) engineering stuff (who I bumped into today whilst working - our roles, though different do seemto coincide nw and then) - who is making a living but still pissed off about not getting double pay on Christmas Day and other stuff which us wage slaves have to face; and myself who left as a PO and now on zero hours, though happily considerably more than minimum wage and not having much of a snag with zero hours (well, until today, but me and the union will sort that out :threaten:). None of my close oppos have gone on to great things (financially), though some of those who are from the London area seem to be doing pretty well. Not a Navy thing there then.

Not a whinge, win some lose some. Just the way it is/can be.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. sgtpepperband

There are some service leavers who a.) think that, because they are called "Managers" in the military, they can walk into a managerial position outside, and b.) believe that they will walk into a job paying the equivalent salary to what they were earning in the military. The job market is thin; plenty of experienced managers in industry hardly break £30K per annum.

To that end, many people still serving don't realise how good the service pay is at the moment. Yes, there are plenty of things to drip about in the Mob, but it ain't that bad, all things considered...

9. I retired as a Chief Tiff (ME) and chose to move away from Guzz specifically because every other ex matelot would be applying for the same jobs as me.
    As fate would have it I landed up in Florida. Started a 2nd career in the scientific field.
    Not sure how much my tiff qualifications helped but I'm a smooth talking bastard and landed on my feet.

10. sgtpepperband

:thumbleft:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fair one RR and good for you mate. It does happen, and some people such as yourself make the right decisions and use their skills to their utmost. Some of us, I wouldn't say 'cock-up' exactly, but miss the opportunity - our own fault maybe, or perhaps just circumstances - I blame no-one for my relative lack of success since leaving. Apart from flagshit of course.

My point, and I think sgtp's is that it is not sat there waiting for you as we used to be lead to believe.

Edit to add - financially more 'successful' since leaving flagshit, just work my nads of to achieve that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Your right. Nothing gets handed to you. He might get lucky and find an ex matelot who would give him at least an interview.
    Most civilians would probably pass.

13. Exactly, once a crab always a crab!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are so many positives in your post service life...

You've worked for Flagshit and escaped
    You have cats
    You know me
    You have cats...
    Er... Ok it's pretty shit in civvy street.

OP - Start an ironing business.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  15. It's OK saying start an ironing business..but what type of iron??

• Like Like x 1
  16. exJenny

I'm debating this very issue this morning.... Do I actually need one?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

17. I've never noticed that you've used one before ;)

18. exJenny

Mr XJ is I/C of ironing

19. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Going through this process myself as it happens. Whilst there is no little network waiting to sweep up service leavers, there are a lot of companies who chose to advertise on the CTP website because they have a preference for ex service personnel. The best advice I was given is that if you have no specific training in mind, then the best use of your resettlement leave is to get onto a work experience/placement. I saw a job advert for which I didn't think I had quite the right experience and I called the manager as per the advert contact details to discuss it. We agreed that I did not have all the essential requirements and therefore not to waste time applying. I then mentioned a work placement and she bit my hand off. I get to gain the experience I needed, they get a free pair of hands, it gets me up and using the brain and guess what - after a month there is a job offer on the table. Employers like zero risk when recruiting and so if you are a known commodity then you get to be first choice. Just a thought.