Civil War

Discussion in 'History' started by Guzzler, Aug 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I appreciate that this is military rather than Naval, but does anyone have any idea of the approximate number of casualties during the English Civil War?

I mocked those who said it was higher than WWI, but despite my amateurish search on tinterwebthing I am struggling to find back up for my no doubt correct argument.

Ta.

2. Here you go mate. Approx 84 to 100,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War.

3. Where they may have a point is casualty figures expressed as a percentage of total population, or indeed total number of men at fighting age, as I think I've read that somewhere too.

Obviously wrong if we're talking raw numbers though...

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Stat mentioned a few days ago in a TV programme (think Who Do You Think You Are re Alexander Armstrong), as higher % to population than W1 AND WW2. Think this may mean fatal casualties as medical treatment would have been thin on the ground and more likely to kill than cure anyway.

5. Thanks all. That was what I suggested they meant k_s, but they were adamant it was actual figures rather than percentage. Didn't think that could be correct.

6. The figures I quoted are accepted as the "conflict" losses in all three civil wars, IE 1642-1646,....1648,..and 1651. These figures include an abundance of casualties, due to disease and starvation directly attributed to the hostilities. They include "dying of injuries" caused by the conflict.
    These figures do not bear any resemblance to those killed in the American Civil war.
    The population of the states (Both sides was around 27,500,000 freemen, plus about 3.5 Million slaves, giving a total populus of 31,000,000.
    The casualties were approximated as no true figure was ever recorded, and the estimates ran from 620,000, up to 700,000.

The population of England and wales during the civil war is estimated at around 4,000,000, so about 3.8/4% of the population died. This is more than in WW1.

7. Yes rat, interesting point which makes a lot of sense.

If the fatalities in the Civil War had matched or surpassed those of WWI we would still now be suffering the consequences of massive underpopulation. It took 400 years to recover from the plagues (particularly the 'biggy') and famines of the 14th century.