CISSM

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GuyC, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I successfully passed my formal interview today :) A lot 'easier' than I was expecting! For anyone out there yet to have theirs, just be yourself and don't work your self up. As long as you've read up on your preferred role and use common sense - you'll be fine! I answered "I don't know the answer for that" once and it did me no harm.

Anyway I digress...
    My original first choice is/was WS(TSM), my careers advisor informed me the next intake for that role isn't till January 2010, and encouraged me to consider going for CISSM as the intake for that is pretty much immediately (pending DV clearance). I am very eager to get started, if I had my way I'd be there now. but I don't know if i'll end up regretting it if for sake of 9 months I may end up doing something I may not not enjoy as much.

My reason for this post is to ask anyone out there who is CISSM or is versed in the role, what the pro's and cons are; i've already read the literature given to me at the AFCO and looking on the royalnavy.mod.uk website, am looking for a more 'real' view of the role. what do you love about it, what tasks do you hate having to do etc.

Many thanks for any insight you are able to provide!

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try searching this site via the search button on the top left hand side

3. I presonally would stay with my first choice and not go for another branch just to get in quicker.

4. If you are that keen to join earlier then go for it, the wait may drag you down a bit.
    CISSM are our communicators, although depending on the platform, they spend a lot of the time recieving information and not a lot sending. They have their own workspace away from the hub of the control room (where the TSM work) but that does not mean they do not take an active role within the watch. A lot of the information they recieve is sensitive, hense the DV, and the ability to keep this quiet when all around you are speculating is one of the most important parts of the job, so if you are a gossip, dont bother.
    You would join Raeigh fo rbasic training and then stay at Raleigh in the Submarine school for Phase 2 job training before moving to either Drake (Plymouth) or Neptune (Faslane) for Submarine training prior to joining your first boat, for both branches.
    TSM keeps watches in the Control Room which can be more sociable, but also right in the mix when the brown stuff hits the fan.
    CISSM being away from it have moments of frenzy but learn to take it in their stride, usually with a cup of tea!

5. I had the same exact situation, was going for TSM (in Manc as well I might add...) but they told me the waiting time (a bit of a shock)...but at the same time they brought up CISSM...which was one I thought I could'nt have done anyway...They had me chat to a TSM and he highly recommended I do CISSM...so it was a double bonus for me...not only am I getting in faaar earlier (end of May) and I'm getting a better job on top of it. Score!

6. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Or maybe there is a shortage in the CISSM branch and they want to fill it. Or am I being a bit cynical?

7. My careers advisor was quite frank with me, she showed me print off of the most needed roles, and said that they are desperate for CISSM. she didn't force it down my throat, but she did suggest I consider it.
    As, to a degree it is mutually beneficial - they want CISSM's, and i want to get in quick.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't believe that the gossip bit is true, twas always the best part of the Sparkers job, complete rubbish of course and nothing like the truth, but they kept coming back for more :wink:

9. Personally If I had the chance I would choose a different branch. The job is boring now days and you have to ask yourself why are they so desperate for CISSM ratings?

P.S I am Currently a CISSM rating!!!!!

10. Go TS mate, you will regret it in the long run if you dont.