CIS Transferable SKills

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt93, Jul 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

I re sat my RT test today and passed for CIS!

i was just wondering what transferable skills i would have gained after 20 years in the RN?

Matt

2. Bit of hard one to answer as who knows what the technology will be like in 20 years.

3. i completely understand your point

4. Were you talking in CIS terms or more general Naval/Military skills? Someone who has worked in CIS or has been in the navy for the last 20 years will no doubt help you a lot more. But you have to remember whilst the Navy is now getting some very advanced and sophisticated kit, technology in civvy street moves along at a very fast pace so there may not some as many direct transferable skills. But after 20 years (if you do stay in that long) will of course stand you in good stead I'm sure.

5. Cheers Axel,
    Both really, but more towards the position i will be in if and when i leave, i have been told that CIS and WE are now more or less merging together these days so i feel confident its a good role in terms of transferable skills. i just wanted some clarity on it.

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

So, at pushing the 22 year point - I've a a wide baseline of practical ICS skills, an MSc, a broad range of management skills, operations skills and wide range of leadership, ITIL, SFIA and the like skills.

The longer you serve the more likely you are to migrate away from hands-on skills, but you'll move to management and leadership of teams and then there is a chance you can move to either wider support roles or procurement/procurement support.

If you decide to try for a commission at a later juncture then you get thrown into the wider aspects of management, ops support, procurement and policy.

The world is your oyster.

7. Thanks a bunch for the info and words of encouragement its just what i needed to hear. on wards and upwards!:hello2:

• Like Like x 1