CIS Specialist - what does it involve?

#1
As I've mentioned in a previous post, one of the specialisations I'm looking at applying for is CIS Specialist.

All I currently know about this role is the information on the RN site.

Does anybody have anything else they can add? In particular what exactly would I be doing on an average day?
 

beth

Midshipman
#2
i have my interview for CIS specialist a week on tuesday!! so if u get any good answers bthey could really help me out!!! :D
 

beth

Midshipman
#5
thank you feel like i need it now! gettin quite nervous already trying to find information soi can be a lil more confident knowin am wised up!! are you going straight from school or work?! :D
 
#6
beth said:
thank you feel like i need it now! gettin quite nervous already trying to find information soi can be a lil more confident knowin am wised up!! are you going straight from school or work?! :D
Im going in from school im 15 but 16 this month and joining up next month im going in as a warfare specilist you?
 

fails_as_is

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
#10
CIS specialists can be on both Surface Ships and Submarines, my boat is the first to pilot the system in the SM service. You'll be expected to be a communicator first, so lining up circuits in the Comms Office /WT Shack will be your bread and butter when on watch and if you are on surface ships you may spend a lot of time on the bridge being the duty communicator for the Officer of the Watch. Once you move up to Leading hand you will be expected to be the Navystar Administrator, (a Windows network used for administration onboard), and assistant CSS administrator (a UNIX/Windows hybrid network used for operational planning and a seriously important piece of kit). Once you are PO(CISSM) you'll be MCO/ WT Office Manager, and CSS Administrator, senior communications rating onboard (if on a SM or frigate/destroyer).
On an SM administratively you're part of the WE department rather than warfare, and your DO will be a Junior WE officer (CISE) CIS Engineer.
Sorry, can't answer for surface ships!
hope that's of some assistance
 
#11
CIS Specialist is one of the specialisations I am interested in also. I am interested in either this trade or Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering). I haven't even started the joining process yet though, but I am going to the careers office on Tuesday to get some more information. Anybody know the recruitment time scales for this job?

It's damn hard trying to get to a careers office when you are working Mon-Sat already. Is there anybody on this board from either of the two trades I mentioned, as your advice could be invaluable if I cant get to the careers office for advice.
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
#12
Chicogiz said:
beth said:
18 next month! was considering warfare specialist have u been thru interview stages?!
No signing up next month
I'm getting confused again Chic...you do realise that you don't just go along and sign up for the branch you want to join and thats it, in you go, don't you?

You have to apply and pass various tests which will indicate, which branches, if any, you are suitable for. If your attitude is wrong at interview or you don't pass the tests, you will not be joining
 
#15
fails_as_is said:
CIS specialists can be on both Surface Ships and Submarines, my boat is the first to pilot the system in the SM service. You'll be expected to be a communicator first, so lining up circuits in the Comms Office /WT Shack will be your bread and butter when on watch and if you are on surface ships you may spend a lot of time on the bridge being the duty communicator for the Officer of the Watch. Once you move up to Leading hand you will be expected to be the Navystar Administrator, (a Windows network used for administration onboard), and assistant CSS administrator (a UNIX/Windows hybrid network used for operational planning and a seriously important piece of kit). Once you are PO(CISSM) you'll be MCO/ WT Office Manager, and CSS Administrator, senior communications rating onboard (if on a SM or frigate/destroyer).
On an SM administratively you're part of the WE department rather than warfare, and your DO will be a Junior WE officer (CISE) CIS Engineer.
Sorry, can't answer for surface ships!
hope that's of some assistance
Thanks alot, that's helpful.

Anyone with any knowledge about the role on surface ships?
 
#16
SLL,
It's pretty much the same in the surface world, although the CIS branch look like they're going to be part of the Weapon Engineering branch of the future - the Officers already are!! On a Frigate / Destroyer, you'll mainly be working in the MCO operating the various IS comms systems, tuning circuits dealing with signal traffic etc. As you get to PO(CIS), you'll be running the office and have a hell of a lot of IT experience - unfortunately, little is transferable to civvy street!!
Good Luck all the same.

PF
 
#17
pinky_faggot said:
SLL,
It's pretty much the same in the surface world, although the CIS branch look like they're going to be part of the Weapon Engineering branch of the future - the Officers already are!! On a Frigate / Destroyer, you'll mainly be working in the MCO operating the various IS comms systems, tuning circuits dealing with signal traffic etc. As you get to PO(CIS), you'll be running the office and have a hell of a lot of IT experience - unfortunately, little is transferable to civvy street!!
Good Luck all the same.

PF
Thanks for the reply PF :)

With regards not much of the experience being transferable to Civvy Street - would I perhaps have better employability when I leave if I joined the Army as an Information Systems Engineer instead of the Navy?
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#18
pinky_faggot said:
SLL,
It's pretty much the same in the surface world, although the CIS branch look like they're going to be part of the Weapon Engineering branch of the future - the Officers already are!! On a Frigate / Destroyer, you'll mainly be working in the MCO operating the various IS comms systems, tuning circuits dealing with signal traffic etc. As you get to PO(CIS), you'll be running the office and have a hell of a lot of IT experience - unfortunately, little is transferable to civvy street!!
Experience of managing a data network, the administration of IS applications, exposure to IT Security and managing people are all readily transferrable skills. Just becuase civvy street doesn't use, for example, CSS, does not mean your CSS admin skills are wasted - the basic principles remain the same and will be useful.
 

fails_as_is

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
#20
running Navystar will give you experience of managing a windows network, connected to the outside world, via satellite / land line, through Cisco routers (very transferrable skill). Running CSS will expose you to UNIX systems again through routers, (particularly transferrable to civvy street). Not to mention the people skills, management, administration and leadership training you get in the Navy. I think you'll be a very good prospect for any employer.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top