Cis sm Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DanEagle86, Feb 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright lads,Just a quik post,i passed my RT on tuesday and one of the optins was CIS SM which im pretty keen on but i cant seem to find much info apart fom what the AFCO gave me,ive been trawling through the threads to find more more info but cant find. Cheers.

2. Hi Dan!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

Well done on passing your RT!

Re the job, you have this already, don't you?

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/(new)_AW_RN_Warfare_CIS_Sub_CPL3_CM_V2.pdf

3. Thanks Soleil

Yeah ive seen that,basically just wanted to know if the branch training was the same as what they do on GS etc. Sorry if im talking complete toss :)

4. Ok i understand after basic training id stay at raleigh to go to submarine school but does that encorperate CIS training or would that be a seperate module etc? Cheers

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a CIS(SM), you'll complete your Phase One training at Raleigh, undergo an introductory element of SM training & I believe the Careers Publication is out of date as you go to HMS Collingwood for CIS trade training before returning to Raleigh to complete SMQC Dry, then off to sea for the wet bit & your Dolphins.

Doubtless a friendly (har-de-har) submariner will update you on the latest routine, but I rather think that you do CIS trade training before completing SMQ dry whereas previously you qualified as a sun-dodger first.

6. Ahh right so its pretty much along the same lines as if i was doing CIS in GS really apart from the introductory element of SM training basically. Well cheers for the info anymore would be great.

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Since he wants to be a dabber, that rules me out. :wink:

8. CIS(SM) do not go to Collingwood. They do their CIS training at the Submarine School in Raleigh.

9. Oh ok so im assuming its the same training as you would do on GS??

10. You assume wrong. There are some common areas but SM comms are different to GS.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers for that Drakey - I stand corrected, every day is a school day. :oops:

Do they do the CIS bit first or second, do you know?

12. Fair enough Drakey,so what are the differences then??

13. The big difference is the equipment and procedures we employ in boats. you will be expected to run a comprehensive watch at periscope depth on your own at an early stage in your career, a responsibility Skimmers do not have. On GS course they no longer do Morse Code, whereas you will, also, you will be security cleared up the ying yang, giving you access to Top Secret material from as soon as you finish training. (That means trade training then succesfully completing SMQ in either Fassers or Guz).

INT QSL K

14. Morning,

Does anyone know when it changed meaning that CIS(SM)'s do not go to Collingwood?

Also, does anyone have a sort of training outline?

If not it's no problems i will just find out at Raleigh, just wondering as i join in about 4 weeks and since my interview and RNAC it seems to have changed.

Cheers.

15. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, it doesn't make much difference when/if it changed.

The only difference I was referring to was SMQ Wet was completed prior to phase two trade training & it was swapped around.

16. Thanks for the info shaddythers.

17. I was also wondering about the order of training this morning i am hopefully pass through my phase 1 training then go on to continue as et(mesm). will I do any of my phase 2 training at submarine school or will it be all done at sultan? whats involved in training at submarine school? I have read the info given to me by my ca but if anyone can give more detail it would be greatly appreciated. Also may seem like a silly question but what happens in 'dry' and 'wet' training?

18. Ninja_Stoker

ET(MESM) trade training is at HMS Sultan.

All submariners undergo submarine theory training ashore in the submarine school (Dry) & submarine practical training at sea (Wet).

Submariners, as they'll no doubt confirm, have to know all about submarine systems & how to operate the said systems regardless of trade - hence the considerably longer training period & the considerably better "extra knowledge" pay.

19. Thanks ninja what does 'wet' training involve then?