CIS Branch

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ship_shape, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Rum Ration,

I've been researching the CIS Branch to try to arm myself with some more knowledge before i take the plunge and start the application process. Other than the Royal Navy website, could any of you perhaps tell me a little more about the Branch. E.g. Whats promotion like? Is it a respectable branch to work within? What kind of work will be doing? Anything at all is welcome, thanks very much.

2. I didn't know the Cooperative Insurance Society had any branches in the pusser. :)

3. The CIS branch deal with all forms of Electronic communications. They mainly work in the main communications office. Their duties including tuning up of transmitter and receivers, HF, UHF and VHF. You will also deal with the satallite links back to the UK. You will also be involved in running the internal computer links and solving people problems. If the systems fail then you need to act quickly to re-route by whatever is available and in the worst senario go back to the older sytle comms. You will always be watchkeeping (Shift work) at sea and when ashore in the comms centres as it's important to maintain 24 hrs connection. You will also get involved in whole ship evolutions such as Seamanship, fire-fighting and general ships maintenence.

Promotion the the Navy is pretty much automatic up to PO and then on selection basis. Therefore if you are good at your job and highly motivated you can get fairly quick promotion.

All jobs in the RN will get you respect. There will always be friendly banter between the branches in the RN. But that is all part of life within the RN. If you can't take a joke then you are in the wrong place.

Hope this helps

SM

:)

4. Thanks for the in-depth reply SM, sounds like a very diverse job, i like that. I was employed as an IT Technician for a few years so i guess this is right up my street...

5. I'll get your coat... :lol: