Circuit Training

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Greendeath, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys: Whilst I appreciate that most of you have some form of circuits to work against. Here's one that I prepared for a friend of mine. Note: he trains with me in Ninjutsu, so his Monday's are spent in the Dojo:

MONTHLY TRAINING ROUTINE

Week 1

Monday: Ninjutsu

Tuesday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
    (Timed)

Wednesday: Day Off

Thursday: 3 Mile Run –followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
    (Different run Route) – Timed

Friday: Day Off

Saturday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.
    (Either route – Not Timed)

Sunday: Day Off

Note: If you put a weight-training circuit together then always use a weight that you can do no less that 20 reps with. You may find it hard lifting lighter weights because you are used to heavier weights. It’s all in the mind, just focus on the goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Week 2

Tuesday: 4 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
    (Timed)

Thursday: 3 mile Run with Banks or hills for Sprint Training - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.

(Different Route) – Timed – Sprint up banks and run steadily down them.

Saturday: 4 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.
    (Either route – Not Timed)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 3

Tuesday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Thursday: 5 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Saturday: 5 Mile Run only. Timed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 4

Tuesday: 5 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.

Thursday: 4 Mile Run – with sprints - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Saturday: 6 Mile Run only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tonne Ups

If possible run between two mats, that are 15 Metres apart. Start by running to the first mat and doing your first set on it. Complete the set and then run to the next mat & do the next set. Then back and forth between the mats, doing the next set of exercises at each one, until complete. If you only have one mat then run to a marker and then back to the mat to do the exercises. Give your self 3 minutes rest at the end of each complete circuit.

If possible, this is best performed by two people. One does the exercise, whilst the other calls out the required exercise as you reach the mat. If you’re training on your own and forget the order of exercise. Write them in large print and keep the list next to the mat so that you can follow it.

Sit Ups x 10

Press Ups x 10

Burpees x 10

Squat Thrusts x 10

Dorsals x 10

Wide Arm Press Ups x 10

Star Jumps x 10

Alternate Leg Situps x 10

Tuck Jumps x 10

V- Sits (Alternate Leg optional) x 10

Note: You can also pyramid this by doing 10 repetitions for the first circuit, then 8 for the second and 6 for the 3rd etc. And, of course, you can increase the number to 12 or 15 and then work through it or down in a pyramid. Or start with low resps and work towards the higher reps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notes

Rest Days

Always rest on rest days. It’s important to let your body recuperate its energy and for your muscles to repair themselves.

Weight

Don’t run with weight on your back.

Form

Do your exercises correctly, completing each repetition fully, rather than cheating so that you can do them quicker.

Stretching

Always stretch before and after each training session. Stretch each muscle for at least 20 seconds. Never bounce when stretching.

Runs

Try and maintain a steady pace over the distance you are covering. Except for the sprint training days, when you will be thrashing the sprints.

Illness

If you have Flu or are feeling unwell, don’t train. You’ll only run yourself down further!!

Programme

Keep a training diary. Retime your runs on the week stated to monitor progress. Always try to better the last time you made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This is only one type of training circuit and I'm sure you have many more.

The secret is to make it work for you, in that you do less reps if its above your current level of fitness or you do more if you can.

However, all in all, its shows a route of fitness progression, boosting your fitness levels and tracking it too. Which adds to your preparation.

Cheers

Steve

2. Sounds like you would enjoy Crossfit
    www.crossfit.com

Come join the revolution!

3. Why don't you just do ninjitsu every day? Surely ninjas don't p1ss about with circuit training inbetween chopping off heads and hiding in the shadows?

4. ninjas are hard and totally cool. Theres 14 of them in here right now....

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm

5. Personally I enjoy a multitude of varying sports, keep fit sessions and martial arts.

Each to their own I guess. In between chopping people's heads off, of course! :thumright:

Be good

Steve

6. This. Seriously this. It's pussers through and through, if you dont feel like your going to spew then your not doing it right. My only complaint would be not enough long distance running.

7. It does look good. I may have a look at it at some point. It does look like it would grasp my enthusiasm.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers
    Steve