Circling The Drain

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by RabC, Nov 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I really think the death knell has been sounded. The site has been taken over by with Howay Henwys commenting when they are off to Bwtanya Royal Navel College or else posts from the parent of some chav giving a blow by blow account of his child's progress through Rally.
    I guess this is my flounce and realise I will not be missed, however I will miss the RR that was.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

As opposed to a site of glorious former sailors reminicsing about halycon imagined days when men were men and ships were wooden?
  3. How long until you flounce back - when you sober up?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Purple_twiglet

Maybe when he's fweed woderwick judging by his lisp?
  5. So a member of the site expresses his opinion and is immediately attacked for posting it by 2 MODs who should be trying to retain members.
    I for one will miss RabC and his postings which were far more interesting than those postings he refers to.
    I thought that the site was aimed at those serving and retired members of the Royal Navy. As Rab states it is morphing into a site for wannabee occifers, pre joiners and kids moms.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Purple_twiglet

Slim - ATG is not, and never has been a Mod. He's not slaughtered enough baby ABs and spat on enough POs's to qualify yet, although he's doing well at beating his CPO slaves daily.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you think should be done here - Rabc has decided that he doesn't like the Newbies threads and this is reason to leave. Thats his call, but short of shutting Newbies or saying 'anyone who has not served cannot post here' then there's not much that can be done.

This site is not aimed at former RN or serving RN exclusively. The blunt fact is that it was intended to be a counterpart to ARRSE and get a lot of serving personnel in to provide credibility but this never really happened. It then got taken over by a lot of retired types who regarded it as their mess square, and they've now gone away. No one group has ownership of the site.

Sites work in cycles, and while a lot of former members used to be here, at present this site is more focused on newer members looking to join rather than older or previously served members. Personally I welcome this because the RN needs every man jack it can get to solve our manning crisis, and we need them now. If their coming here helps them get information that encourages them to join, or if parents get information to help them encourage their child at RALEIGH to stay the course during the difficult bits and that gets someone into the Fleet then that can only be a good thing.

Frankly if Rab feels he can't cope with this, and instead wants to have an ARRSE Flounce by posting a fairly stereotypcial and fairly offensive rant that he doesn't like who is here, rather than trying to act in the best spirit of the RN and help them feel welcome and part of the team, then thats his call. I'm not going to turn around and say 'oh please come back, we promise to go 'yaaaaaaarrrgghhh' a lot more...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I'd like to be a MOD - perhaps of the RNR pages?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Purple_twiglet

Simple application process ATG.

1. Are you an Occifer? YES / NO

2. Do you want the power to quell dissent among the lower deck? YES / NO
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. PT
    I agree with much of what you as and as you know also disagree with other posts.
    The site in my opinion has changed over the years, but it has certainly become more P.C. and we seem to be getting more RN wanabees than RN newbies.
    The site banner proclaims
    Welcome to Navy Net, the UNofficial RN community
    To me this means anyone who served or is serving is welcome, including relatives of both serving and ex serving occifers and men. It also encompasses those who wish to serve, this is a good thing and in the past has initiated young thrusters into the pleasures of mess deck banter before they actually suffer from it (or otherwise) in the real navy.

It's my belief that Rabc will still log onto the site but will be far less proactive, many others are doing this as you MODs know who is signed in.
    For the site to survive it needs every member, whether they are liked or not, opinions count.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Purple_twiglet

If Rabc doesnt like where the site is going then ultimately he has the power to try and change things. But an out of the blue flounce doesnt acheive anything.
  11. Correct me if I'm wrong but more newbies getting ready to go to BRNC/Raleigh who post on this site will, in a year or so, mean we might have a cadre of currently serving Officers/Ratings who are active on RR? Which would mean as PT said, there is serving personnel active who can add credibility. Personally I like RR as it is, with former, current and potential RN personnel active. This site has helped me a lot and has also given me a fair few laughs.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Totally agree Tomahawk, there's a good mix of young 'uns and old'uns on here. My view is if the subject of a particular topic doesn't interest you, don't read it, same as a magazine rack in a newsagents. RR is always going to contain a variety of topics, that's what it's all about and long may it be so.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't worry Rab. Once everyone has been through training, back to back sea drafts/appointments and settled into their desk jobs, RR will be hive of banter and current affairs. PIM's will be sipped, collars unbuttoned and games of risk will last for weeks. The dark days will be whispered about, like the dirty old uncle who fingered your sister. Tri service virtual wars will be played out between RNFT training and RORs reports. The MoD RSS feed will implode with good news stories and words such as 'churn' 'budget' and 'gapped' will be wiped from the naval thesaurus.

I'll miss you Rab.
  14. Purple_twiglet

Given his self imposed exile lasted about twenty minutes,I hope you didn't miss him too long.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 20 minutes is a lifetime for is old farts:D
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I know you like to portray yourself as the RN’s very own oracle on all matters across the net. Some Admiral may have been disappointing and you’re on the hotline to central government, but surely you never thought for a dog watch that after a ELWE I would randomly happen across this thread?

(Mod edit here to save board from reading disturbing erotic description of PT and another poster. We'll have wholesome naval values on this site please :) )

I like post 6, paragraph 4. It was almost pleading in its nauseating cry that the RN is going down a hole and ‘please join up’. Do you honestly think RR is going to reverse or repair the damage caused by decades of mismanagement trying to save a penny?

I’m sure the Rabs missing 19 minutes will be documented by Thai Street Whores. They may have to stretch out the dialogue a bit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I still call into Navy Net (and I still call it Rum Ration) on a fairly regular basis, I do not post as much as I used to as little catches my attention, I have been out too long to offer the newbies advice, and I was never really into slinging them shit for the bone questions (although that seems to have been banned). But when I do, far too often the vast majority of the threads are from those wanting info about joining the RN, these wannabes (and I do not mean to use the term in a derogatory fashion in this instance) tend to hang around the site for a short time then disappear.

I am sorry, but this is an UNOFFICIAL site, if they have questions about security clearance or accommodation they should be approaching those that are paid to help them along in their goal to join the RN, or god forbid actually looking at the official sites and trying to glean the info for themselves!

The old intro to the site said something along the line of this being a site for serving, ex serving and those with an interest, but said sod all about it being a mine of information for those wanting to join.

NN (RR) seems to have very few serving members, and the majority of those who are serving seem to be Senior rates/Officers rather than juniors, so for every:

glorious former sailors reminicsing about halycon imagined days when men were men and ships were wooden?

Who disappears, or decided to visit left often, means the site become that much less!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. If you are out there reading but no longer posting I would like to see Sol , Flagdeck , Guzzler , make a comeback , and Finks who always stimulated debate.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Stirlin

Finks got a tempory (I think) ban, not too sure why Flagdeck does not visit anymore, but he can be seen in another place (as can finks occasionally), not my place to go into Sols leaving as I only have 2nd hand information, and Guzzler was on a few weeks back.

But those 4 are only a thin slice of the missing regulars, Wet Blobby, NZ Bootneck, Rumrat, ExRD, Sgtpepperband, Maxi_77, breathingoutonthewayup, (best not to mention Steve/AAC/Thingy) and those are just from the page, in other words, 50% of the top posters ( I know two of them are one in the same person) no longer visit
  20. I don't miss SPB tbh but most of the others post on the other site, certain heavy handed MOD's were pissing them off, so taking the advice given, went elsewhere.

As usual with a MOD drip (not all MOD's btw, just a couple), it's either "tell the CO's" or "if you don't like fcuk off", so off they fcuked.

Rumrat had a bit of a grump on about some PM's he received, he sent me a PM explaining all before he left but I thought he might come back sometime, evidently not.