cindy t

Discussion in 'History' started by cindy t, May 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How can i prove my dad was a survivor from hms hood.
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, there were only three. He has a service record does he not? It'll be on there.
  3. my dad jumped into the sea just before the hood went down,was picked up and took to changi jail ,when released he came home,but i have no service records,he died at home in 1986.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

If so, he wasn't in HMS HOOD when she was sunk. Changi suggests PRINCE OF WALES or REPULSE perhaps, other side of the world.

HOOD's 3 survivors were 'household' names in naval circles for a long time and all were picked up by friendlies.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Changi jail is in Singapore, HMS Hood was sunk in the Denmark Strait (between Greenland and Iceland) so he couldn't have jumped overboard before she was sunk. Are you sure your not getting mixed up with HMS Prince of Wales. She was present when the Hood went down and was subsequently sunk in the Far East.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. ok thanks,will look into this furthur
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From the HMS Hood website:

H.M.S. Hood Association-Battle Cruiser Hood -Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  8. he was definately on the hood,i had his hat and tapes until he re-married.
  9. yes i know all this,thanks.
  10. He may have served on her at some time but not during the action against the Bismarck.
  11. Just a long shot, but maybe he was on the Hood but was drafted off shortly before she went hunting the Bismarck.
    Not technically a survivor but a close call all the same.

A similar thing happened to my dad but in his case it was the Repulse.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I managed to get the service records for my paternal grandfather and great-grandfather. It's quite straightforward and the Royal Navy Service Certificate lists all the ships served upon with specific dates. All you do is apply here(link): service records sar form requests
  13. Distant cousin on my Mams side of the family was lost on Repulse.William Cavanagh, Sug Lt.
  14. Everyone salty knows this already, but a late transferee from the HOOD was none other than future Dr Who and Worzel Gummidge, Jon Pertwee. Good luck Cindy, you might try the Naval Historical Branch if you luck out.World War Two Naval Losses