CinC to move into Chiefs and PO's Mess Accomodation

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by trelawney126, Aug 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forces chiefs lose perks in £50m cutbacks - Telegraph
    Perhaps the next cost cutting measure will be to abolish the Wardroom and have just one gigantic mess deck for everyone. Week one at Raleigh will now consist of pure etiquette teaching jack that knives and forks aren't just jewellery and napkins aren't cravats.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The Lower deck would never drop it's standards sufficiently for the Officers to feel comfortable.

3. Ermm Blobs,

The only Officers who ever felt really comfortable in the Wardroom were those of us from the Lower Deck.

(True Dit - Ask StyxJ or Les Aurochs, etc.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. Mob losing perks? All about penny pinching? No fun anymore? Run like a business on an epic industrial scale?? Bollox won't have it......

5. This would seem more realistic should those making these decisions adhere to the same principal. 1 MP, maybe 2 per COUNTY meeting in A Wetherspoons with second class rail warrants to get from home to work (sic) and no gardeners, domestics or wives/partners employed as well, very well paid workers doing feck all. Or would that mean some of them would have to vacate the gravy train?

6. Having read more into it- good. Though me thinks that people (see I never pointed it directly at orifices( oh I did)) will still find away to get noses in the trough.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'm gonna stick up for Ruperts now.... *deep breathe*...... The Guys at the top of the tree or sitting on special branches at some place on the tree actually work ******* hard, someone like me would look upon a train journey or drive up the road as an excuse to either hit the beer or get my head down, those poor sods look upon the same journey as an opportunity to catch up on the paperwork, in truth they can't do that crammed into cattle class on first great western or driving a car pool nissan micra.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Everyone agrees the need for saving money but WB is on the money - its difficult to read up before a meeting in town when your laptop is on your knee and there's a random person sitting on your left elbow.

I wonder when MPs will have to abide by the same rules and be flummoxed by JPA etc.?

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It becomes slowly less and less worthwhile to slog one's way up to the top of the tree! I would imagine the CEO of any company comparable in size for net worth to any of our services would have a company car and driver for his daily commute so as to extend his day in conditions of confidentiality. Likewise he can take his 'official' guests where he will and charge it to expenses and I doubt his wife is obliged (or necessarily willing) to wash up for visiting firemen.

One of my gripes all those years ago was the way the Wardroom was always out of pocket for the compulsory 'official' entertaining everywhere we went, let alone all the odds and sods who washed up in the wardroom on the sponge.

10. Totally agree but did you achieve enough "up homers" or leg overs to compensate?

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Surprisingly (and disappointingly) rarely. One had to find one's own fun, although I still cherish the memories of some of the temporary local acting friends I made. The 'return matches' were usually formal and in a naval sense, essentially business occasions. Typically out of the standard five-day visit one or two days would be duty, one would be official entertainment on board (best if that was a duty day), one would be three-line whip return match in uniform, leaves not a lot for private enterprise.

Then pipe Specials and off we go again.
    [​IMG]

Friendly welcome behind the Iron Curtain:[​IMG]

12. I agree just couldn't miss an opportunity

13. Seaweed is that you mincing with your hands on your hips? All that is needed to complete it is a slight heel lift