CIMA

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by officerlog, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All,

I am hoping to join as a Logistics Officer (still in the early stages of applying), and was wondering what the deal was with qualifications, such as the above whilst being in the Royal Navy.

Are all Logistics Officers allowed to/encouraged to study for CIMA, or as i understand, some kind of lawyer/barrister qualifications? Coming from a financial background, CIMA would certainly be something I am interested in studying for.

How long into your naval career would you be able to begin studying?

Thanks

2. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

No idea with regards study while a loggie, but with regards CIMA it is part time so would presumable fit reasonably well. The only issue to consider is that the exams are at set dates every six months so you would have to be available to attend an examination centre.

Depending on your current level of qualification you may wish to do AAT before starting on the professional level qualification.

ACCA may give you greater options when you leave the RN as it is a little more diverse, including more tax and external audit.

Study for all of these is either by distance learning or via a variety of tuition providers most noteably Kaplan and BPP, although there are a number of other tuition providers based in the South of England.

Regards
    Jock

3. Thanks for the info although it's more with regard to studying within the navy that I was interested in.

I think had i not wanted to join, I would consider ACA, although I understand it is a real commitment and would require sponsoring by a firm. There are other non-accountancy-based qualifications I would rather take but i just read recently that the navy would be prepared to pay for your CIMA and as that was the only one I heard, i was just interested in finding out more!

cheers

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have known numerous Lts who have chosen the CMA stream so the answer is 'not long after getting onto the trained strength'

5. so does that mean not long after finishing officer training.........?

thanks