CILOCT

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by top_mast, Feb 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be intrested to find out if anyone else has been on a period of 10day OCT at a naval establishment and been charged CILOCT (cash in leu of council tax)

It is only 8p per day, however I object in principle to paying £200 per month council tax at home, then a further 80p while on training.

Its smacks of the old consequential penalties!!

2. You think that's bad?? Try being drafted LFS - Paying council tax on my house in the UK and also paying nearly 100 per month CILOCT but not receiving any services that would be provided for by a council in the UK (for 12 months per year not 10 like council tax)

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

TM: What the feck has that got to do with consequential penalties?!? I'm in the same situation as The Communicator, and pay full UK taxes, etc., despite being in another hemisphere for 12 months... life isn't always greener, mate! :evil:

4. So whats new??? We've all been on long deployments / Foreign where we've been paying UK taxes yet been denied the benefits of having the gash collected every week etc etc.

Hows the donkeys out there by the way????

5. yeah i paid the same when i was in Gib

took a while to find out what Ciloct was, sure they were trying to keep it a secret

6. sgtpepperband

Daktari: I'm not disputing that; I was resonding to Top_Mast's 'drip' about how hard done by he was, for paying a few pence for a home he is only away from for a week or two.

(And the donkey's are fine, by the way - the workshy fops...) :wink:

[​IMG]

7. Ah Happy Days!

Must admit the CILOCT is a new one on me! You have a house .. you pay for it whether you are resident or not. You dont not pay CT when you go on hols for a couple of weeks and I would imagine the hotel bill of wherever you are would contain an element of Council Tax as well as board and lodging. I had mis-read the initail post and hadn't realised it was RNR thus only for a short period.

8. Concur! Had exactly that in Cyprus, paying £120 a month coucil tax in UK on my property and another £90 a month for my quarter in Cyprus, which appeared to be for the dustbin bod's twice a week, they managed to leave half of the gash in the road too!!

9. I think you find he is alluding to the injustice of having to pay twice for the same thing. (And before you start, I am aware of the rationale behind both, but it doesn't make either any easier to swallow.)

10. sgtpepperband

Ooh, you're lucky you said that - I was about to pull out my Big Bad Can of Woopass on yer! :lol: