Chunky Funker

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Joint_Strike_Tighter, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI Guys

Despite being rather overweight, i decided to pursue my dream of becoming a FAA pilot earlier this year. Since June i have lost nearly 5 stone after cutting out the pies, running about like the proverbial blue-arsed fly and even foregoing my beloved pints of ale! I had my medical almost a month ago and unfortunately was declared temporarily unfit as my BMI was around 28.8. The doctor recommended i lost another stone and asked how long this would take me. I said i could do it in 4 weeks.

4 weeks later i have lost the weight but still haven't heard anything about my second medical. I just wondered how long it usually takes to hear back.

Many Thanks in advance!
  2. Dont know the answer to the question but Im sure someone will be along to help soon. Just wanted to say best of luck and well done so far. Lost over half a stone in a week so I know how much of a positive boost it is to see results.

As to the medical...... maybe N_S can help....... he'll be lurking somewhere Im sure
  3. Ring them shippers if your fingers are still not too fat to mash all the phone buttons at once :lol:
  4. Cheers for the advice and support. I bought one of those OAP phones with the big numbers for my porky fingers.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

if the FAA won't have you, then the Rebel Alliance might...

6. Mmm KFC....I'm losing concentration here...
  7. JST,

Ring your Careers advisor/Careers office. They are probably waiting for you to tell them that you have lost the required weight, before re-booking an update medical (this all costs money and everyone is trying to save it at the moment).

8. Thanks for that supermario. I'll get on the phone and tell them i've kept off the pies for another month.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, certainly in my AFCO, if someone is 'TMU weight', we wait for them to get back in touch rather than ring them up to ask if they are still fat.
  10. On the plus side, congrats on losing the weight.

My BMI is around 27 and I was never good at losing weight.
    Although my PFT (or whatever it has turned into now) is good enough to stave off it being an issue in the camo part timers.
  11. you won't get one anytime soon we are chucking lads out of FAA and rest of navy in april, they have started double bunking all junior rates at culdrose
  12. Strangely, Molli's advice is false. I've got my medical sorted for January...
  13. Bet you put it all back on over crimbo. :twisted:
  14. I wish I was mates with 2SL. the I'd get all the gen too. I just have to make do with making shit up.

Back on thread: Good luck fatty. It always pleases me when dirty great heffers see the light and stop munching lard.
  15. Might have to have a 3 week stint as a muslim so i don't resemble Rick Waller by New Year.
  16. Watch your back Monty, he says they're chucking everyone out in April after all the woo's are gone(and Tora! Tora! Tora! is on Film4 at the moment for all the carrier buffs)
  17. I'm TMU at the momement for the same reasons. Largeish build, not built quite like a brick shithouse thought.

Was told on my first med that my BMI of 27 was too high, and would need it down to 25. Think I'm sitting around 26 right now so need to get my arse down the gym more often!

Afco told me to ring up when I was at the BMI the doc said, so hopefully mid jan...
  18. haha great bit of motivation
  19. Not soon enough.
  20. Nah. Just went skinny dipping (horrible sight) and decided to do a bomb in Coniston Water. Why? What's happened?
    I love bombing. I'm banned from my local swimming pool. I once did a great one off Sri Lanka on Boxing Day 2004 after a particuarly heavy Christmas. Good times.