Christopher Tappin

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Feb 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Christopher Tappin, a retired businessman and grandfather, attacked the extradition system as a “disgrace” and criticised David Cameron for not protecting him.

Mr Tappin, 65, was handcuffed and put on a flight to Texas yesterday after losing a two-year legal battle.

His wife Elaine was overcome with emotion as he spoke to the reporters at Heathrow Airport before being handed over to US marshals.

The Americans have accused Mr Tappin, a former importer and exporter, of trying to sell missile parts to Iran but he claims he was the victim of entrapment.

His case is one of a number, included that of alleged hacker Gary McKinnon, that has raised concerns over the balance of the UK and US extradition arrangements.

Source: Today's Telegraph.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr Tappin when he stated, "I have no rights. Abu Qatada is walking the streets of London today and we cannot extradite him. He has more rights than I have.
    "If I was a terrorist, I would not be going to America. I think it's a shame, a disgrace.
    "The Conservative Government, while in opposition, promised to reform the law and they failed to do so and they've let me down, they've let you down, they've let the whole country down."

Once again we see the
    obsequious crawly bum licking attitude of successive British governments towards the demands that come from the USA, it would appear that we had Poodles Blair and Broon now we have Poodle Cameron; nothing changes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. I notice that none of the cases mentioned have actually said that they didn`t do the said act, just that the extradition is unfair. Seeing as we can`t/won`t have justice that is done and seen to be done anymore in this country, i see no reason not to export our numpties abroad where others can pay for their incarceration.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Our legal system may have it's faults but I would rather have ours than the Yanks. This is a country that calls itself civilised yet still has the death penalty. From a legal standpoint the Americans don't even have to submit all the evidence they hold relating to the charges for scrutiny by British lawyers, it stinks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. He`s guilty. He`s already admitted that. Now we`re arguing over the semantics of whether its entrapment or not. Let the Septics pay for the extradition, the trial, and the possible sentence. At least he`ll get more than a slap on the wrist like he would over here.

5. It's not even reciprocal, maybe you think it’s right that we should say how high when the Yanks say jump? We have a due process of law in this country and that means that the prosecution disclose all the evidence that they have to the defendant’s lawyer and let us not forget that UK law emphatically states that we may never extradite to a country that advocates torture or sends people to prison without due process. Mr Tappin did not even have the right of appeal unlike Qatada who is a proven threat to our security.
  6. I was under the impression that we (The UK) wouldn't extradite to a country that had the death penalty. (The US has)...............
    Isn't that why we can't extradite the scum, that is crowding our prisons, to their country of origin, because they have the death penalty ?
    ..............or have I got it all wrong ! :scratch:
  7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Who gives a ****?

Really, who honestly gives a ****?

Mr Tappin and his family obviously, only because they stand alot to lose. They will receive a fair trial and if found guilty punished accordingly. I like this one about a couple of chemical dealers who didn't know they were supplying crystal meth manufacturers.
  8. witsend

Here's another ******* one. Asperger's sufferer Gary McKinnon has suffered for the last ten years. Well get the **** over to the USA and clear your ******* name ****.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You being a Union man, Finks, should run away from a declared "business man", surely?
  10. witsend

He certainly has the characteristics of a 1970s shop steward, selective ranting and misses the big picture to the detriment of his colleagues.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Finks, whats wrong with the death penalty?
  12. No businesses no jobs, not rocket science is it is Wits?
  13. EC, that one has been done to death however, if you would like to fire up a new thread I will willingly put forward my views as to why the death penalty in a civilised society is wrong?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You have it right but those rules are put aside when our government of both colours are arse- licking the Septics administration.
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perhaps I am seeing this in simplistic terms, but maybe the issue with Tappin/Finks is that Christopher Tappin is a white Anglo-Saxon Brit, while Abu Qatada is a dark-skinned Islamic immigrant, and has nothing to do with jurisprudence at all..?
  16. Good grief SPB, do you think ones ethnicity comes into the reckoning?
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not from this callsign. But some could easily perceive that that was an issue for some...
  18. I don't see why as I am sure that any racist who raises their head above the parapet on here are expeditiously shown the exit.

19. Article 7 of the UK-US treaty covers the death penalty, stating that:"the executive authority may refuse extradition unless the Requesting State provides an assurance that the death penalty will not be imposed or, if imposed, will not be carried out".

Note the use of the word 'may'.

20. Whilst I have some confusion over some of your posts finks I could not agree more about the death penalty. There can be no room for such barbarism in any society which considers itself civilised, and though I am not anti-American the retention of this shameful cold-blooded punishment is a huge blight on their country.