Christmas the Mystery

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by The_Jimmy, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is one Christmas Carol that has always baffled me.
    What in the world do leaping lords, French hens,
    swimming swans, and especially the partridge who won't come out of the pear tree have to do with Christmas?

This week, I found out.

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly.
    Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.
    It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church.
    Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality which the children could remember.

-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness,

Gentleness, and Self Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

So there is your history for today. This knowledge was shared with me and I found it interesting and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a Christmas Carol...so pass it on if you wish.'

Merry (Twelve Days of) Christmas Everyone

A few days late but whos counting :rendeer:

2. The only mystery i have found about Xmas is the hell to get a taxis home on xmas eve after a skinfull. Now there is a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!! :money:

3. Cheers for that Jimmy, very interesting mate :)

4. Bisley, I have long been victim to the mystery of the Beer Tardis or Booze scooter, arriving home before I left the pub, with a kebab in my pocket and no idea how I got there. One New year, I left the club at four, and got home at one, got a good kip in and turned to at seven with no hangover....and no clue where I left £150 and 18 bottles of tart fuel with six double capt morgans.

Isn't religious reality a contradiction in terms....? I found a slightly different interpretation of the lyrics, interesting if you are looking for other carols to go bother people with...(it also has playable songs if you are in the office and want to start a fight)

from
    http://www.carols.org.uk/the_twelve_days_of_christmas.htm

5. That'll be the Fleet alongside for Christmas then.

6. from
    http://www.carols.org.uk/i_saw_three_ships.htm

7. Surely thats too many ships for that.

8. I've never heard Ships-cats version but I had The_Jimmy's version beaten into me at school by penguins - or they may have been nuns. :thumright: