Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas day at Butlins???

WHOS BEING SELFISH?

• IN-LAWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BOTH AS BAD AS EACH OTHER!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
trehorn said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This has absolutely nothing to do with the RN or RNR however I would appreciate some help if you would be so kind.

I have been accused of being selfish by my mother in law because I refuse to eat my Christmas dinner in a dining hall with 200 other people at Butlins next year.

In my opinion Christmas day is a day for the kids to open and play with their presents and a time to spend with family at home with a traditional Christmas dinner, Christmas TV, games etc.

Earlier this year the in-laws paid for all the family (me, my fiancée, her sister, her sisters husband and all our four young children) to go to Butlins with them for a week. While the holiday was greatly appreciated, it wasn’t one that I would wish to repeat for a while. I do however appreciate that the kids thoroughly enjoyed it and my fiancée enjoyed having a holiday with all her family.

With this in mind I am quite happy to go to Butlins before or after Christmas day but refuse to deprive my children of their presents and their other grandparents and vice-versa on Christmas day. My in-laws refuse to change the day that they are going and I am now being accused of being selfish and not thinking of my fiancée and my children.

The result is a big family feud, Trehorn’s the black sheep son and brother in law and fiancée’s in tears because she’s stuck in the middle.

In my opinion I have offered them 364 days to of the year to choose from and they have offered me one block of four days, take it or leave it.

The question is - who is being selfish?

You really don't want it to become a Christmas "tradition" for your inlaws convenience Trehorn. My mother, sister and me were dragged up to stay with my dad's mother every Christmas whatever the weather and even when I was ill. The house was unheated and my sister and me had to sleep in the attic in 1950s sleeping bags on straw filled matresses dating from the 1930s!!! It was like something out of Dickens. No decorations or Xmas cards allowed. No heating. Well there were the very heavy, little iron electric fires with a stiff switch on the front, elements they glowed vaguely red and were open with no protective fireguards on them! Probably collectors items for yuppees now! Having to keep quiet. I only escaped this annual tortourous ritual when I escaped... oops, I mean when I was old enough to find a good excuse: work!

Just tell your Mother-in-Law that all holiday camps have given you nightmares since you did a spell in DQs... :twisted:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK-wide Christmas arrangements agreed by the UK Government and the Devolved Administrations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement on UK-wide Christmas arrangements from the UK Government and Devolved Administrations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of journey fees waived for students travelling home for Christmas MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Merry Bloody Christmas v20 Diamond Lil's 22
MoD_RSS Christmas and New Year closures for courts and tribunals 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas guidance set out for university students  MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth Naval Base Christmas Card Competition Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Northern Ireland seafood firm gears up for Christmas 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recycle or replant your tree for a greener Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plastic found on Suffolk beach used to decorate Christmas tree MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick spends Christmas evening at Birmingham Christmas Shelter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River Great Ouse gets Christmas present with fish restocking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Read your child a book this Christmas, says Children’s Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Ireland cheese producer enjoys boost in Christmas sales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Christmas message: 24 December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Christmas and New Year opening times 2019-2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas boost for Midlands businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force crackdown on Christmas counterfeits MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Christmas comes early for first £5k winner of new Treasury-backed savings account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister visits British troops in Estonia for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World craves British food this Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Almost 1 in 3 are considering donating to a charity for Christmas instead of giving a gift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plating up for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA Christmas hours 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Christmas and New Year Opening Times 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: “Brexit vote wrapped up for Christmas" MoD News 0
soleil RN Website: "World's Oldest Christmas Pud On Display In Naval Museum" History 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Meet the families keeping motorists moving at Christmas MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
MoD_RSS More than 800 miles of roadworks completed or lifted in time for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New team of British medics to tackle measles outbreak in Samoa over Christmas as crisis continues to claim children’s lives MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The UNIQUE RUM RATION ANNUAL CHRISTMAS DRAW 2019 Competitions 24
MoD_RSS DVSA opening hours: Christmas and New Year MoD News 0
BillyNoMates A Christmas card for? Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Authorisation application deadlines for Christmas period 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA opening hours: Christmas and New Year 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas and New Year closures for courts and tribunals 2019 MoD News 0
F Raleigh Christmas Leave 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D SMQ North Christmas leave 2019 Submariners 5
NotNickCarter Christmas is coming... Miscellaneous 1
W Christmas Leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: Mission Christmas 2018 - Update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Secretary's Christmas message 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Christmas contact hours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Prime Minister's 2018 Christmas Message to the Armed Forces MoD News 0
vauxhall Christmas Message Finance & Pensions 0