Christmas break/leave

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Starboard_Cling-on, Aug 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you're a recruit over the Christmas period, when and how long's the holiday period?
    And what's the drill do you HAVE to leave the base?
    Can you go away (out of country)?
    I'm a single 30 yr old and the rest of my family have all grown up and moved on blah blah etc, and tend to disappear to other parts of the planet for the winter.
    Just wondering what the options are?
    Cheers.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If in initial training at Raleigh, you will most likely have a couple of weeks leave which you must take over Xmas/New Year as the base effectively shuts down except for skeleton security staff, as required & dictated by the security status. Overseas leave can be granted with the caveat that you should leave several contingency days either end of the period to ensure you are back in UK in good time to continue training. There are restrictions on which countries maybe visited - as dictated by the FCO website.

3. Ok cool cheers Ninja.

4. You can stay onboard if you wish, you need to see the staff who have to organise it through the Regulating Office.

5. Sounds interesting, do you know what I'd be doing (if anything) while there?

6. Whilst on leave...nothing.

7. Cheers wrecker i'll look into it :)

8. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, I couldn't think of a more desolate place to be than a Naval establishment over Christmas. Generally, those resident overseas, unable to afford the trip home & not invited to a fellow recruits' place for at least some of the leave period may be accommodated but those with a UK residence would be far better off going home. Even if your family are away, you must surely have friends at home.

9. If he has he doesn't appear to be in much of a hurry to visit them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmm, team player or loner?

11. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

TBH, in my career, I have come across people who had nowhere to go over leave - in one case a lad whose parents smoked copious amounts of cannabis and were offended that having joined up, he would not join in with them over the Xmas period. Along the lines of 'you think you're better than us now, eh?' Idiots.

It's highly unlikely that any Nod/Nozzer/Erk/Tom/Crow would be allowed to be unsupervised on a base over Xmas leave (risk of Double Six etc), so the outcome of this would no doubt be to ruin the Xmas Lunch of whatever Duty of Care staff would be on call over the leave period.

I think in the case of the Cannabis lad, who was worthy of pity, he spent Xmas with one of the SNCOs families (he was a pongo).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

There can of course be all kinds of reasons why an individual doesn't want to go home, or doesn't have a home to go to. You only have to visit a mess in a shore establishment of a weekend to share the misery of those going through divorce, separation from long term partners, etc. Likewise there will inevitably be those who join to escape their surroundings or to make a clean break.

At the same time the service isn't a charity & regardless of circumstances, we aim to recruit team players, (stand fast cyber reserves ;) )

13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe Wrecks has got room for one more round his.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Good shout. Snag solved.

15. Yep, he could take the dog for a walk on Boxing Day while Wrecks tries to shake off his hangover.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have enough snags with wife and remaining son without taking on waifs and strays, besides, ExJ lives closer to Raleigh than I do, plus she has more dogs and an ex-crab to walk :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. exJenny

Alas, I'll be away this Christmas.

18. Take him with you:p

19. exJenny

Who? Wrecks?

20. Why not it will get him away from home