Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

christened in a ships bell

m100

Hi folks,
Can any one help with this?
Does anybody know of the tradition of the ships bell being given to the first child christened in it?
I am trying to aquire the one I was christened in which just now resides in an RAF officers mess collecting dust.
Any help would be fantasticly recieved.
Cheers in advance

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Nope - but anything such as this would remain HMG property until disposed of. Its not a tradition I've ever heard of, and I'm afraid its highly unlikely you'd stand any success trying to secure it from the RAF as its not within their gift to dispose of it.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Have you tried getting some advice from the RN Trophy Centre? Ship's Bells are classed as trophies and therefore 'owned' by the Trophy Centre - they will have loaned the bell in question to the RAF mess (for a small annual fee to cover insurance). I'm afraid I'm a bit dubious about the bell being given to the first child christened in it. I've seen a few engraved bells in the Centre which are still considered trophies and therefore MOD property. Contact details are: RN Trophy Centre Hardy Block, HMS Nelson HMNB Portsmouth PO1 3HH Tel: 023927 23878.

Wightsparker

War Hero
M100 - why do you think that the specific bell in which you were christened is with the RAF?
It's possible, of course, but ships frequently had more than one bell. From time to time, ships' bells do come up for sale by MOD, and it is possible that the bell you are talking about was bought by someone in the Crabs when it became surplus to requirements.
I suppose it's also possible that a bell was passed to the RAF by an affiliated ship when it decommissioned - but like Purple Twiglet I've never heard of a tradition where the bell becomes the property of the first child christened in it.
Have you approached the Crab unit where you think the bell resides? Is there still a readable inscription referring to your christening? If there is, at the very least you could ask for a photograph of the bell/inscription - and if some people are to be believed then the RAF PR machine will leap at the opportunity to get publicity! ( Bear in mind, though, that any inscriptions may have been erased by years of use.....)
If you think the Crabs actually own the bell, make them an offer!

m100

Its at RAF Boulmer. I work there now as a civvie on the SAR sqn. Been over to the Officers mess and taken pictures of it and the engraving of my name. I've seen a couple of threads on a different site reffering to the bell being given to the christened child for 'safe keeping' and seen a few on US Navy sites stating that this tradition came from the Royal Navy. If I could get enough 'evidence' then they may be more willing to pass it on to me

m100

Spare_Rib, contacted them in 2004 when the ship was originally decommissioned but they weren't too forthcoming with any info, at the time they were saying it was up to the Captain what happened to it at the time and I couldn't get hold of him. Cheers though, will try them again as personel are bound to of changed since then

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
To be honest i think you are wasting your time. Bluntly dont you think its incredibly selfish to try and secure ownership of something that in doing so prevents others from seeing and appreciating it?

Let it go and move on.

sweetpea

War Hero
Hi folks,
Can any one help with this?
Does anybody know of the tradition of the ships bell being given to the first child christened in it?
I am trying to aquire the one I was christened in which just now resides in an RAF officers mess collecting dust.
Any help would be fantasticly recieved.
Cheers in advance

Why would a ships bell be entrusted to the first child to have been christened in it? That does not make sense!
Your only affiliation with the ship is that of a civilian, whose parent served aboard the Royal Naval Ship. Your parents were fortunate enough to enjoy the tradition of having a RN christening for you, but this gives you no rightful claim to the ships bell itself.

Ships bells are often ceremonially presented to the town/namesake of the ship, ie, HMS Liverpool, HMS Manchester, etc, whose crew have usually been given 'The Freedom of the Town'. Organizations such as the Royal Naval Association are also recipients of ships bells, along with other groups who have a RN connection, ie, Sea Cadet Units.

When a ship is decommissioned the bell is decommissioned with it, however, the bell still remains the property of HMG until disposed of - often passed on to any of the above mentioned, or in some cases, sold off to private buyers. I do not know where RAF Boulmer fits in here, perhaps there is a connection between RAF Boulmer and the RN, or maybe the bell was a private purchase? Either way, your claim on the bell is for personal reasons only, but if, as you say, the bell is not in use and is gathering dust, there is absolutely nothing to stop you from seeking out the owner to offer to purchase it. Please bear in mind that your name may well appear on the ships bell, but you do not have a rightful claim to it.

I wish you luck.
SP.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Pusser used occasionally to sell off old bells. I bid for one long ago via an AFO advertising them but was pipped by someone else - an ex-CO would probably have had priority.

Long ago a neighbour had the bell of HMS Courageous hanging outside his house. How he obtained it I don't know. Other bells get presented on paying off - I saw an HMS Kent bell on Kent records office in Maidstone. HMS Newfoundland's bell was presented to the Dockyard Church in Singapore & I do wonder what happened to that.

The County-class GMD HMS London inherited a massive solid silver bell that between ships, with other HMS London silver, was held for safekeeping by the Mercers company in the City. Names of babies christened in it were engraved round the inside of the rim.

tommo

War Hero
I have heard through my time, that when a ships bell goes to auction (mod selling off) that only those christened (i.e names on the bell) could bid for it.

I have heard this dit on a few occassions from various. However I have never seen anything laid down, and could be nothing but one of those dits made up but has followed across the fleet

tommo

War Hero
More than likely "never let the truth get in the way of a good dit" but it's what I've always heard but never seen proof

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil L'pool Echo: "Special Dedication Ceremony For Those Christened w. HMS Liverpool Bell" The Fleet 0
soleil York: "RN Engineer's daughter christened in HMS York bell" The Fleet 3
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2020 MoD News 0
cheddarman Ships Bell Submariners 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2020 MoD News 0
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2020 MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2020 MoD News 0
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
MoD_RSS 19,000 British travellers return from cruise ships after major international effort MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs cleaner planes, ships and automobiles with £37 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2020 MoD News 0
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2019 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Little Ships. The Book Club 10
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2019 MoD News 0
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2019 MoD News 0
E Tracing ships visits - Help needed The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2019 MoD News 0
Obsidian00 Ships Badge/Crest History 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2019 MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
G New Ships RFA 9
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary secures ships to protect home waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK set for new Birmingham warship and will keep amphibious assault ships, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "New Military Ships 'Must Be Built At Yards Like Cammell Laird After Brexit'" RFA 1
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1