Christchurch earthquake

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by silverfox, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Anyone mustered the Kiwi RR's recently? Would be nice to know...
  2. I'll second that, c'mon guys check in and let us know you are all OK.

3. :confused5:Dunners calling (300+KM South from ChCh).......Hi there from NZ..............send concrete.....RSJs........and beer ASAP!!!!

Felt that bugger, strange as like being in a dinghy in a good swell. It didn't last as long as the 4 Sept '10 one, but it was at a shallower depth so it's brought down lots of buildings in central ChCh and so far 65 confirmed dead expected to rise 'significantly'.
    Blobbs should be okay as he's working in the Dunners area, but as he's up at Bloody silly O'Clock I'll TXT him tomorrow to check. No news of rolled logging trucks with roll up smoking 'tached driver scratching his bonce muttering "What the fook was that!", so he should be OK too.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. PS Thanks for the concern. The rooms awfully dusty......:crybaby:
  5. My lad left UK yesterday to fly down to NZ (via LA stopover thankfully so I know he wasn't in the middle of it). Thoughts with the Kiwis - very sad that so many have lost their lives, it was only 1 when I left home to come into work and now hear at least 65 with fears that it could run into the hundreds.
  6. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Seems Australasia is getting a battering from Mother Nature at the moment. BBC have some very indicative photos on their website (link) and it seems as if it's only going to get much, much worse. At least 65 dead but they haven't even started on some areas according to eyewitnesses. Not a lot to be said, apart from that my thoughts are with the residents of Christchurch, and all their relatives who must be beside themselves with worry.

Glad to hear you're ok NZ_Bootneck.
  7. Large Central ChCh Hotel, several multi storey office buildings and ChCh Cathedral Steeple (with media reporting people in it!!) have collapsed.
    The death toll in Sept was nil, mainly due to the quake hitting in the early AM, quake proof building regs and the quake being 10 KM below the surface.
    This time after hundreds of aftershocks of last years quake that have further weakened damaged buildings the quake was closer to ChCH and only 5Km deep.
    Still some amazing survival stories coming out. 3 women working on the on the 5th floor of a building that collapsed came to their senses in the street as people lifted debris off them, walked away with a few scratches and stunned mullet looks.
  8. Thanks Magda.
    Outer suburbs of ChCh ie Lyttleton, Sumner and areas over the Port Hills are without Comms, Mobile networks etc overloaded, so the info coming in from these areas is sketchy at best.
    Luckily large contingent of NZ Army (350+ bods, that's about a full muster these days.:happy7:) was on exercise in the Canterbury region, ChCh is the Provincial 'Capital', so they've been rushed in to assist Emergency Sevices and Civil Defence in the rescue Op and no doubt to help deter the usual looting cnuts.
    :angry4: "With a magazine of 30 Rounds load." would be my deterent for these mindless vultures.
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Saw the ChCh mayor on TV. I thought his calm and fluent speech showed quite exceptional leadership and control, particularly from an individual who has just had his city knocked down round his ears. I think the Kiwis will get a grip the same way their cousins in QLD did.
  10. Magda

It's not looking good for anyone who was admiring the view from the top of the tower!

Credit to BBC for the photo
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  11. Glad to hear that you are OK NZ_Bootneck, give Blobbs our best when you speak to him.
  12. If you can get any upskirt images from the deceased that would be great, cheers.
  13. Cover blown, like a 'Them' man without his harry black maskers.
  14. Blimey! is nowhere safe these days.....good luck to all down there beneath us!
  15. Agreed sussex.

Been to Christchurch a few times on holiday and its somewhere I always wanted to live. I truly hope that the deat tol doesnt rise and that people are able to get back on their feet soon
  16. I, too, trust & hope that you renegade RR's and nearest/dearests out there keep safe.

(What a pity some of our outrage bus drivers here do not hold Upsee-Downsee Emergency Vehicle Tickets, too......:wink:)

17. Ex Crab who sits on the next desk is supposed to flying out there tommorow, have taken great delight in winding the sideways walking freak up.
  18. Tell him to remember his shovel and hard hat.

Just been helping a friend track her cousin down. Luckily he was way up in Wellington at the time, though he was staying in Christchurch last week.
  19. Magda

"There but for the grace of God go I!"

Video of the damage so far

Yikes :|
  20. I've Aunty and cousin who live there they were lucky!