Chopper crash in North Sea

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Waspie, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bond Helicopters lose a Super Puma. Quite a few ex RN work either for Bond or work on the rigs. Hope it's no-one we know.

Thoughts with families and friends.

Helo Crash Link

2. Sad news.

3. I do a lot of work off shore (service n repair stuff) and the training (dunker) and pre flight vids are very good.....but...there's always that possibilty for something to go wrong. Sadly Bond have lost 2 aircraft in a matter of 8 weeks or so now.

Strange how fate is...one aircraft goes down in the dark in fog and all survive, another goes down in daylight and good weather, 8 die the rest are missing.

Hate bloody helicopters.

4. my oppo works for Bond up there as a pilot.Hope he.s safe.

5. My thoughts and sympathies go with the families and friends also...

6. When I did a spell on rigs I had to go on the dunking course… All good stuff until at the end of it the Instructor rather pissed on our parade by telling us:

'Bear in mind though, If it all goes wrong, the helo will usually drop like a brick and you can kiss your arses goodbye'

Never trusted Pumas, bloody things have a bad habit of falling over even if the pilot manages to put them down in one piece.

7. Offshore survival training I'm afraid to say is no use in such cases. With the chopper being 'top heavy' and falling from a height, it will simply just shatter on impact.

Last time a Puma ditched fortunately all survived due to this training but based upon recent reports it looks as though all souls have been sadly lost this time.

8. Would disagree, based on 15+ years flying in choppers. There are many recorded incidents of uncontrolled ditchings having positive survival results.

Like wise many controlled ditchings have resulted in tragic loss of life due to the 'top heavy' roll over in moderate to heavy seas. Death being the result of exposure and not the crash.

9. I was under the impression that when the chopper hits the water, the combined weight of the turbine and the impact of the water would effectively crush the body of the aircraft.

However, this was what the aviation expert had said on our local news. I would nonetheless bow to your superior knowledge!

10. The Puma has a reputation as a particularly unsurvibale bugger…

11. :cry: It would be wrong to speculate, before the black box is found and accident report submitted, Their are many types of helicopter ditching accidents, some controlled ie auto rotation, some not so controlled ie insufficient hieght/time etc some tragic some not, from both catergories

12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

When I did my off-shore training about 10 years ago we were told that escape and survival would depend on the degree of control that the pilots could maintain and also whether the flotation bags deployed or not. The wet evacuation training covered 3 scenarios:
    1) controlled landing, bags deploy - step out of cab into liferaft, stay dry.
    2) controlled landing, bags don't deploy and helo remains upright and slowly sinks - swim out of cab climb into liferaft.
    3) controlled landing, bags don't deploy, helo flips - allow motion to settle and swim calmly through the windows.

After training, it was explained that scenario 2 was unrealistic in real life and was only included to build up students' confidence before scenario 3. Scenarios where the pilots did not maintain controlled flight all the way down were not covered but the implication was that if there'd been a departure from controlled flight survival was pretty much in the lap of the gods.

13. The long flights from Abu Din out into the North Atlantic via Wick or Shetland were a pisser. A ditching in bad-weather was generally acknowledged to be unsurvivable and the immersion suits we wore were regarded as mobile body-bags. I have recovered a lot of bodies from various crashes and I feel for the divers who will be on this latest one.

RM

14. Sad news.
    Thoughts and prayers with all families
    JW

15. Most if not all helicopters that are required to fly over the sea have equipment either added or built into the design to assist purely with the evacuation of its passengers and crew.

They are required to stay afloat long enough to allow escape. After that any inflation equipment is benificial to salvage if the aircraft stays afloat be it upright or inverted.

16. Senario 2/3 was a reality pre flotation bags. question is :roll: :roll: have you got the balls to wait for the blades to stop whilst sinking , to effect a successfull escape??????? :wink: :wink: Senario 2?

17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Even with a top-heavy helo? The high CofG caused by gearbox will most likely result in flipping, i.e. Scenario 3.

18. Ha! Ha! right you will have to have real big balls then,even for a bunting
    tosser!!! but rest assured if your training dose not go to plan??? Waspie and me will come down and get you, me with a double dispatcher!!!!!!

19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Thanks for the offer of assistance should I need it, but I'm no longer doing business in the off-shore world and all my off-shore certifications expired long ago. One other memory I have of the training is that we told to count wait for a slow count of 7 to allow for everything to settle down (that's where the balls come in!). About half-way through the count I lost my place (!) so started again from one - by the time I'd reached five I was the last person in the dunker and the staff were starting to look in through the "windows" to see where I was - I was later told that they were on the verge of coming in to get me out. :)

20. The saddest thing about all this, is that it will happen again and again.
    Perhaps they should send them out and in by sea, what does it cost to run a fleet of Helicopters compared to a few ships? For those who say ` But what about the time taken? ` Let me answer that with a simple question.
    Would you like to arrive and come home alive, rather than having your next of kin being told some devastating news? As for cost, the oil Companies can afford it.