Choosing Class

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SJRM_RN, Mar 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I do decide to go boats, would I get to choose the class of my first boat or is it get what you are given?

Apologies of this is a mong question!
  2. You can ask for a particular class or even a boat but you take pot luck, it's up to your appointer (no more drafty for you shippers) and where you're needed

Edited to add hossifers never apologise, they just shout louder. You should have your BRNC head on now :wink:
  3. Chose "O" They wrote "Not O`s" got Swiftsure. Go figure
  4. Stix...... take a look at where you want to live.... do you want to stayin the west country or move up to sunny fassers?
  5. So it's your turn to be the newbie. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Best of luck with your transfer to the blue side of life. :lol:
  6. It won't matter in the end, as all boats will end up in Faslane. Best to jump, before you're pushed.
  7. But as a Loggie Stix will have done his sea time by then so might never have to live up there.

I myself am hoping for a T boat first, not that I will get any choice really in reality.

8. Your appointer will likely dictate otherwise, spouting:

"Styx, you will understand that it's most essential for your career", as he smiles wickedly, glances at his watch and shoos you out so that he can adjust his plot accordingly.

....and that is you - Shafted.

Grin stupidly & get used to it, there will be no DO to look after your welfare once you've stepped across the Wardroom doorstep, old bean. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9. Surely that's the BLACK side of life? aka sleek black messengers of death :D
  10. I'm afraid you will be going to Faslane - the boats are moving up in the next 3 years, and that will only just cover you joining the trained strength. I know of no LO's who've gone straight to SM, and only a proportion go straight to a DLO job at sea. If you add in 2 - 4 years for you first (and second if applicable) job(s), then nearly all boats will be in Faslane.

It's a good job, but if you ask any bloke who's done who hasn't already got some Logs experience (i.e. an UY/SUY), it can be the most stressful period in your life!!!
  11. When did that change? It was 2017 last I looked.
  12. Complete by 2017 - commences 2013/2014 :D
  13. Indeed. So even if he got the last boat, I'm willing to bet a standeasy wet, he'll end up base-ported in faslamabad by the end of his assignment....
  14. Are they moving the refitting/maintenance facilities up there too or will they stay in Plymouth? Likewise Submarine School etc?
  15. Plans are for refits in Guzz, no news yet on the submarine school yet but watch this space, it can only be a matter of time IMO
  16. if it happens all on time....astute was delivered on time (or not) as well as everything else within the SM service
  17. The boats? All three of them !

Have a nice day

18. ssh now, we're talking about you, not too you ;)
  19. I hate faslane...
  20. You carnt, you still call it Faslane :twisted: