Choosing an RNR branch.

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
Being ironic, it doesn't matter what branch you choose - it'll probably change role or disband before you're trained anyway :lol: .

Seriously though, I'd look at each branch, think about whether you'd enjoy it and whether it would be a good basis for your RN career. If you want to go into the engineering branches, then none of the RNR branches will help, but I would say the GSSR branch will at least give you some experience of the sort of stuff you'd have to do on duty watch :roll: .

Some folks think that GSSR is just being stood on the gangway trying not to look bored, but there's more to it than that, and it can be quite rewarding although the blanket stackers and co might like to convince you otherwise :)

dunkers

War Hero
Seriously - what does GSSR involve? From what I hear it's nothing much more than SPO teams (for the first couple of years at least) and an excessive amount of training courses. Would be interested to hear what it's really like.

The thought of sitting on a gangway, SA80 in hand, for an entire deployment doesn't sound that enticing...

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
jesse650 said:
don't need convincing bunnyj, you ought to hear the drips if you don't get your mail! :lol: :lol:

Jesse, you almost got upset then didn't you!! :lol: You know we all love loggies - especially when we need some more kit :wink:

But seriously dunkers, I'm surprised no-one has explained the branches to you at your unit. Yes the main role of GSSR is SPO, but personally I've spent very little time doing SPO. Yes you do the training, and yes that's the primary role but you also need to do seamanship, which includes boats, helm type stuff, RAS, I also understand AIR233 is stil required (aircraft deck handling). The gen now is that GSSR will be GPMG trained and maybe minigun. The list goes on. Don't believe other branches when they tell you GSSR is SPO and no more. They're just trying to entice you into the stores!!

Also, and I don't know how true this is, but I did hear a dit that GSSR were going to be used for SPO afloat, but I've heard that the other branches (loggies included) will also be weapon trained and used for ashore security. So either way you won't avoid it.

But at the end of the day we're all loyal to our own branches, so we're all going to think ours is the best. The best way to decide is to get in your mess, and chat to your mess mates. If you still can't decide, listen to who drips the least and go in their branch. If things don't work out you can always transfer.

I still reckon that if you're going in the mob full time though, GSSR is going to give you the best all round experience.

But as a final, sobering point, remember this. When GSSR first got formed out of the old seaman branch, the other branches all took the p***. Then Minewarfare got roped into GSSR, then Comms closely followed by the Medics. Since GSSR is known to require masses of manpower in the next few years, can you be sure that the remaining branches will not end up in GSSR anyway........food for thought. :roll:

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
bunnyjumper said:
jesse650 said:
don't need convincing bunnyj, you ought to hear the drips if you don't get your mail! :lol: :lol:

The gen now is that GSSR will be GPMG trained and maybe minigun.

Already GPMG trained.

Lovely 9 day course, Monday to Friday weekend off then Monday and Tuesday.

Went out of date almost straight away as you are supposed to do a live firing within one month of finishing the course... Not very useful when it only gets fired at sea in the RN, but still the course was good crack and I met up with a former pash so dib in!!

jesse650

War Hero
trying not to get upset :lol: 8) The reason why allloggies are now to be sa80 qualified is that we (and the MTO - I think) are going places where going unarmed and unprepared is not your best idea.......but probably your last. :wink:
yes the GSSR was drifting, it now seems you guys/girls are begining to find your role within the fleet, lets hope they don't move the goal posts again...... :twisted: been there done that, thrown the wobbler....... :wink:

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
jesse650 said:
trying not to get upset :lol: 8) The reason why allloggies are now to be sa80 qualified is that we (and the MTO - I think) are going places where going unarmed and unprepared is not your best idea.......but probably your last. :wink:
yes the GSSR was drifting, it now seems you guys/girls are begining to find your role within the fleet, lets hope they don't move the goal posts again...... :twisted: been there done that, thrown the wobbler....... :wink:

Listen to 'im! :lol: Don't believe everything you're told. When I think back on some of the duff gen we were told by quite senior people, man I never believe anything now until it happens. We had our role in the fleet before and we did it so well, the mob realised what they were missing and decided they wanted their own seamen again. That's why GSSR was invented, to find a new job for us. If it hadn't been for Telic I think we'd still be guessing. :roll: If we do a good enough job at SPO maybe the RN will do the same again and we can all retrain again.

You know deep down that once you're weapon trained, there's nothing stopping pusser from using you guys for SPO duties if the brown stuff hits the fan - especially with the current GSSR shortfall. All it takes is a weeks SPO course on top of your 518, then you're trained matey. :twisted: :D :D

Bottom line mate - don't be too good at your job else you'll do yourself out of it. :wink: And check your PMs........... :wink:

WarMonger

War Hero
How many people selected for OPTELIC had done the SPO team members course at that time...not many.....the key phrase used throughout mobilisation was flexibility...anyone in any other branch than GSSR thinks when it comes to the crunch in the future that they cant be used for SPO is obviously taking a walk down the yellow brick road...with a scarecrow, cowardly lion and tin man....get real!!!!!!

It takes no more than a week to 10 days to get you qualified for SPO!!.

Bearing in mind fleet requirement is what 31 teams!! and the brass admit they could only muster maybe 15 at best....theres plenty of spaces to fill!!!

Take note!

Big_Dave

Well if you are good looking we will ave yer! in the loggies branch lol

SpliceTheMainbrace said:
I am in GSSR and looking to join Loggies branch, I wanted to join that branch when i went from New Entry to Branch, however I haven't passed my driving test and so couldn't do so. Annoying because you get told different things from different people. My driving test is next month and so when I pass that I am going to put in a transfer to Loggies.