Choice of career

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Thyself, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everybody :) First time I'm visiting this forum, so hopefully writing in the correct section!

I've been having some thoughts about the career that would suit me the most and would be the best one to chose. At the moment I'm 17 years old and going to 6th year in school (Scotland). And lets face it... it's quite a big decision on which my future depends :)

My mind has been shifting between architecture and army/navy recently. Always had a deep interest in architecture and all the related things for many years as I've chosen all the subjects in school which are required for the university course (and also because I like them the most). But I've also liked the idea of army/navy since my early days.

So it's extremely difficult for me to realise which I'd prefer the most as both professions would have its benefits. I like architecture as it requires a creative mind as well as being good with physics, numbers generally, so it's a nice mixture of both. The career itself promises a great salary and rather interesting job.

But I'm also a rather active person, play basketball a lot, go to gym and so on... like being out in the nature rather than being trapped inside. And I think navy would provide the adventure, physical activeness as well as most likely I'd get the chance to see never seen places and meet interesting people whom would need support and help... And I guess every day would be different from the previous one :)

So if anyone is able to comment on this subject, or simply shed some light any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

2. Thyself

and i quote "I'd get the chance to see never seen places and meet interesting people whom would need support and help." unquote,

Your british so you wont be going places to help them at all ,you will go to far off lands ,kill them all ,take everything of value ,then burn the place to cinders,good luck in your chosen career 8)

3. That sounds just as fun, but I assumed that you're still supposed to help folk to some extent ;) Afterall ya ain't there just for the killing.

Oh by the way, I'm not British ;) Would have to apply for British citizenship if I was going to join.
    Yep, I have thought about that a little. The thing is that I'm not too interested in that, since it's a lot less artistic than architecture(and to a big extent I really like it because of the good balance of creativity/artistic abilities and mathematical stuff. Therefore not being a completely dull job), so doing something like that in navy does seem a little pointless to me? Or am I wrong.

I think personally I'd be most interested working up in the front, rather than stuff like engineers officers (I assume they're located further away from all the action?)

4. Go on then tell uncle NC where your from,DONT SAY USA :wink:

5. Lithuania :) Came to Scotland more than four years ago, gonna be 5 years next summer - so that's when I could apply for citizenship if I was planning on joining the army or navy *or anything else for that matter*.

Hope that helped uncle NC ;)

6. I am aware of that. Possibly didn't make myself clear enough at beginning.

I mentioned the artistic side as being benefit of architecture. Whilst the adventure being the good side of working in the front.

7. I thought that you couldn't be English as your grasp of the language is far too good.

8. My thoughts exactly guzzler :p

9. Hey Thyself,

I'm relatively new to the site too, hello!

If you were to go down the Armed Forces route would you still be planning on going to University first?

If you choose to study say physics in Scotland, you would be able to take subjects that appeal to your more creative side as well, in order to fill up your timetable. This flexibility is one advantage of the 4 year Scottish system. Whilst at university you could join the local OTC or URNU to gain some insight into whether you would enjoy a career in the Army or Navy. If you decide it isn't for you you can walk away without having made any commitment but still have a useful degree at the end of it. Just a thought.

Either way, I would definitely pop down to your nearest AFCO.

10. A mate of mine was Royal Engineers, managed to do all his courses AACC, Jumps etc, all the licences. To be honest the job you are thinking off i dont think the armed forces do, if you want to do alot of designing etc. It dont take much thinking putting up tents or trenches etc.
    You really need to look at the jobs available amonst the three service more in depth or as mentioned go the AFCO and talk with them.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site & best of luck in your aspirations.

You may already be fully aware, however a few pointers on nationality & residency requirements to join the Royal Navy & Royal Marines:

Nationality.

For entry into the Naval Service a candidate must, at all times since birth, fall into one of the following Nationality categories:

a. British Citizen.
    b. Dual British/Commonwealth, British/Irish, British/Other citizenship.
    c. Irish or Commonwealth citizen.
    d. Dual Commonwealth / Commonwealth, Commonwealth/other Irish/Commonwealth or Irish/Other nationality.

A British Passport holder, should be OK on Nationality, but may require a residency waiver if they do not have an unbroken history of UK residence in the last 5 years.

Residency

The Residency requirement is part of the Security Clearance procedure and is irrespective of the Nationality of the candidate. The residency status of the candidate's parents or partner is not considered.

Unless satisfactory security checks can be carried out in the candidates country of residence, candidates for entry into the Naval Service should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to making an application. In certain circumstances, particularly where an applicant is of UK origin, a shorter period of residence may be accepted.

12. :lol: Rather amusing comment :D thanks
    Ehm I am not entirely sure to be honest as it's quite a two sided thing. If I was going to join the army or navy I don't think there'd be much point studying architecture in university as it would take too much time out of my life (7 years at the university I want to join).

Although it would be beneficial to have a masters in architecture if I decided to take that path ONCE I retired from navy(18 years of service I think at age of 40? of course.. if I was still alive :) ) as it'd be a little pointless to spend the rest of your life doing nothing and simply living from pension.

The other thing I thought about *since I am not really sure, at least at the moment* that I could join Royal Marines Comando Reserves which I think takes place in the weekends and some evenings during the week. That way I'd most likely get a taste of what it is like, gain skills, experience and I guess - it'd be good to have overgone that if I ended up deciding to join the navy full time (e.g. after graduating from university)

Also, people keep on mentioning what's AFCO, what does the abbreviation stand for ? ;)

Thanks for the information about nationality thing, I've spoken to some officer *not exactly sure what's his title* and he said that it would be fine as long as I got British citizenship once I've stayed here for 5 years.

13. I thought you were going to say you were Scottish. After all, the British National Anthem is 'God save The Queen' while the Scottish one is 'Flower Of Scotland'. (Dons hard hat and anti-flash, and awaits incoming from the skirt-wearing cousins :D )

If you like the outdoor life then maybe, as Jimbo says, consider RE. Have you considered becoming a Naval Architect? I don't know exactly what the role entails as I haven't researched it, but it might possibly satisfy all of your area of interests.

14. Mhh okay I will read about RE officers and related things, although wondering if that'd be as exciting :) Thanks nonetheless

15. Jimmy's point about Naval Architect is a good one, though it's a trade, sorry, profession, I know little about.

Without knowing you as an individual your comments make me feel that you should follow your aspirations to be an architect (a fascinating career I would imagine) and perhaps investigate reserve service in either RNR or RMR.

Good luck whatever you choose.