Chockheads at play!!!!

Anyone got a pic of the tractor and Merlin hanging off the Lusty, think it was nr the ramp it went off. Met the chockhead involved last year.

I remember on the Ark in 88 a Seaking (820) came into land on 5 spot and the chockheads had parked a Harrier (801) half a spot too close. Tail rotor across the top of the Harrier (got some photos somewhere)!!!

FDO resigned his commision shortly after.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I remember on the Ark in 88 a Seaking (820) came into land on 5 spot and the chockheads had parked a Harrier (801) have a spot too close. Tail rotor across to top of the Harrier (got some photos somewhere)!!!

FDO resigned his commision shortly after.
Yep, it's usually resignation or promotion out of harms way. Not sure which is worse.

Was that early '70's of the coast of Norway .....This was a training film made around 1974-75 for the Aircraft Handlers 'flight deck cowboys' - so that they would not repeat an incident also in Ark Royal when they managed to lose a real 809 sqdn. Mk2 over the side! Not his fault - an accumulation of bad drills really, so this film was made as a result to show what could happen during a 'bad drill.' PS The accident was Buccaneer S.2C/D XT269/031/R 809 D/D 26/4/65 to RN and was lost when it rolled off the side of HMS Ark Royal at sea on 15/2/72 and sank. 15/02/1972 XT269 R-031 Buccaneer S2 809 NAS Rolled over the side of HMS Ark Royal during a storm in mid-Atlantic

I remember on the Ark in 88 a Seaking (820) came into land on 5 spot and the chockheads had parked a Harrier (801) half a spot too close. Tail rotor across the top of the Harrier (got some photos somewhere)!!!
Were you in 801 then, JFH? I remember that event, so that might mean we were 801 at the same time :shock:

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Was that early '70's of the coast of Norway .....This was a training film made around 1974-75 for the Aircraft Handlers 'flight deck cowboys' - so that they would not repeat an incident also in Ark Royal when they managed to lose a real 809 sqdn. Mk2 over the side! Not his fault - an accumulation of bad drills really, so this film was made as a result to show what could happen during a 'bad drill.' PS The accident was Buccaneer S.2C/D XT269/031/R 809 D/D 26/4/65 to RN and was lost when it rolled off the side of HMS Ark Royal at sea on 15/2/72 and sank. 15/02/1972 XT269 R-031 Buccaneer S2 809 NAS Rolled over the side of HMS Ark Royal during a storm in mid-Atlantic
Scouse
My Dad was on the Ark at the time Said there was quite a bit of fallout from the incident.