Chinese Building Carrier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Jun 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You mean they didn't buy 60,000 tons of warship to have somewhere to put their slot machines and poker tables? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

Well, maybe not that shocked.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Trelawney, I pinched the url and stuck it on ARRSE inn the thread about the South China Sea. Hope you don't mind.

This game with the Russki carrier has been in the open before but this is the first time I think that the story has Ch official backing.

Wonder what the Chinese is for learning curve.

3. Your welcome Seaweed... Don't know what the chinese for learning curve is, but "Moi Hoi Lap Sap" means F**** Rubbish.
    Flymo will be better informed though.

4. Ah, so THAT's where all the steel, aluminium and copper 'acquired' by our Pikey friends and sent to China has ended up!

5. Sorry chum, I bailed out of Chinese after the opportunity and chaos bit :)

6. Looks like India and China have bought two Russian Bangers. China has Varyag a Kuznetsov-class multirole aircraft carrier. She was known as Riga when her keel was laid down at Nikolayev South (formerly Shipyard 444) in Nikolayev 6 December 1985, and she was launched 4 December 1988, but she was renamed Varyag (Varangian) in late 1990, after a famous Russian cruiser.India has Admiral Gorshkov was a modified Kiev class aircraft carrier of the Russian Navy, originally named Baku. Sometimes Gorshkov is considered a separate class due to its improvements including a phased array radar, extensive electronic warfare installations, and an enlarged command and control suite. In 2004, she was sold to India for conversion into a STOBAR carrier to be named INS Vikramaditya.

7. The Minsk (I think) is parked up in Shenzen, just over the border from Hong Kong and has been for years. I flew past it in a light plane around 2002. My mate, the pilot instructor, was ex Sdn Ldr RAAF/RAF and flew Nimrods (RAF) and MP3 Orion's (RAAF) as well as Shackletons (old fart). I remember him saying 'Do you recognise that?' and me replying 'No, I've only ever been underneath it'.

Happy days

• Like Like x 1
  8. Last edited: Jun 9, 2011