Chinese aircraft carrier Shi Lang, ex-Varyag

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
==========================================================

==========================================================

Disconcerting to hear how well grounded and certain Admiralty-Scruffty is of his "Cold War history theories".

Such a shame he wasn't around to live and breathe it for a few years though.:roll:

It would be interesting to know what yon admiralwannabee's reaction would be if he was on a boat off, say, Murmansk and have a soviet boat go active on you. Not that that ever happened of course, just musing (but I shat meself).

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Or 'lost' a TA
Or spent weeks sitting off 'a coast' (no official recognition)
Or played under the ice - a real cold war (sic)
Or found and tracked the first of a new class SSBN
etc

Allegedly

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Or 'lost' a TA
Or spent weeks sitting off 'a coast' (no official recognition)
Or played under the ice - a real cold war (sic)
Or found and tracked the first of a new class SSBN
etc

Allegedly

Spooky really, I've never done any of that either :pr: and for the last one our skipper got the OBE or maybe he didn't!!

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
It would be interesting to know what yon admiralwannabee's reaction would be if he was on a boat off, say, Murmansk and have a soviet boat go active on you. Not that that ever happened of course, just musing (but I shat meself).

That obviously changes the idea that WW3 was somewhat unlikely then.

I put that idea in a few posts ago, because it was a new idea and I wanted to open it up to criticism, and I've realised it was a lot of BS, so, thanks for proving me wrong on it guys. Especially with regards to ABLE ARCHER 83, that was certainly cut it very fine.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
That obviously changes the idea that WW3 was somewhat unlikely then.

I put that idea in a few posts ago, because it was a new idea and I wanted to open it up to criticism, and I've realised it was a lot of BS, so, thanks for proving me wrong on it guys.

Trust me mate, you'll never find out about some of the shit that went on, from a submariners perspective read "Blind Man's Bluff".

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
I've heard about a book called "We Come Unseen", which is supposed to be a similar book, but from a UK perspective. I'm hoping to get that for christmas

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was on the Ulster just off of Cuba when the Cousins closed it down, fecking impressive sight seeing the whole 6th? Fleet coming towards you, and you trying to look very impressive in a converted WW2 Frigate and hoping that they realised that we were on the same side.