Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Chinese aircraft carrier Shi Lang, ex-Varyag

You guys seem far more educated than old Stan and I won't offer an opinion in either direction. But from my own personal perspective I watched with disbelief from my liitle hole underground in Northwood while the Serbs massacred thousands of innocent civillians, we (Europeans did fcuk all just stood by and watched likewise the UN. it wasn't until uncle Sam got involved and provided the momentum to stop the slaughter and sort the cnuts out did we find a solution. This was only 50 years after the carnage in Europe during WW2 if the boys from accross the pond had'nt got involved the good old full english breakfast would have included Bratwurst, (albeit with a bit of encouragement from our slanty eyed small penis boys over in the Pacific).
Say what you want but guess what whenever Stan has been in the firing line thank fcuk the yanks were there to give us their support.
So yank haters I see were your coming from but when the shit hits the fan the sight of a US Battle group coming over the horizon is a very nice one. They are by no means perfect but I for one would rather be in their pocket than the chinkey chinamans.
If they hadn't given us the new AIM Sidewinder to try out in 82 Stans little baby might not have been around to join the pusser.
Monty come into my local Legion and I will stand beside you you wear your medals and I'll wear mine, bet off the fcuking bandstand mate still love you - but what happened some redneck ream your arse while you were pissed up in the mess at Culdrose??

Have you had a lot of Japanese cock Stan?

Cuban Missile Crisis = the last gasp of US Nuclear Supremacy, before the USSR got its Strategic missiles going in quantity. What the USSR wanted to do broke NO law or Treaty and merely mirrored what the USA had done many years earlier in Turkey and Italy (and arguably the UK ????). The only country that broke any laws was the USA.

No laws were broken by either side in the siting of nuclear weapons, but it was the blockade of Cuba that could be considered to be illegal by some, because it is an act of war without a declaration of war, and that act was an unbelievably risky thing to do on the part of the Americans.

Another example of recklessness on the part of the West is ABLE ARCHER 83, a NATO exercise that climaxed with a 'dress rehearsal' for nuclear missile launch, the US carried out an exercise just after the Korean airline shoot-down that, intentionally or not, terrified the Soviets and pushed them to the brink of nuclear war, because they intercepted the transmissions and thought they were real, not an exercise, due to a mix of paranoia, more hostile USSR-US relations and a background where the US carried out operations designed to intimidate the Russians.

That's a bit of a tangent, but to sum up, a key theme on both sides of the cold war, is recklessness, intentional or not, especially considering what was at stake.

Last edited:
No laws were broken by either side in the siting of nuclear weapons, but it was the blockade of Cuba that could be considered to be illegal by some, because it is an act of war without a declaration of war, and that act was an unbelievably risky thing to do on the part of the Americans.

Another example of recklessness on the part of the West is ABLE ARCHER 83, a NATO exercise that climaxed with a 'dress rehearsal' for nuclear missile launch, the US carried out an exercise just after the Korean airline shoot-down that, intentionally or not, terrified the Soviets and pushed them to the brink of nuclear war, because they intercepted the transmissions and thought they were real, not an exercise, due to a mix of paranoia, more hostile USSR-US relations and a background where the US carried out operations designed to intimidate the Russians.

That's a bit of a tangent, but to sum up, a key theme on both sides of the cold war, is recklessness, intentional or not, especially considering what was at stake.

Having done the Cold War at A Level and indeed my Uni course is very much focused on aspects like this, I can say it wasn't just the US that indulged in this type of thing. One quote that sticks in my mind was that of Khrushchev saying that the USSR was "pulling [nuclear] missiles off the production line like sausages". Of course all of this is perspective, I'm sure that during the Cold War, attitudes were different.

Indeed, I could have extended that with a discussion on how the Soviets were little better, pointing at the Prague Spring of '68 and Hungary in 1956, but I didn't want to stray too far off topic

Indeed, I could have extended that with a discussion on how the Soviets were little better, pointing at the Prague Spring of '68 and Hungary in 1956, but I didn't want to stray too far off topic

You are the dullest human being living.

No laws were broken by either side in the siting of nuclear weapons, but it was the blockade of Cuba that could be considered to be illegal by some, because it is an act of war without a declaration of war, and that act was an unbelievably risky thing to do on the part of the Americans. .................

Not quite. The US broke the law by flying reconnaisance missions over Cuba.

The "Quarantine" (the USA's weasel word = blockade) WAS illegal.

Having done the Cold War at A Level and indeed my Uni course is very much focused on aspects like this, I can say it wasn't just the US that indulged in this type of thing. One quote that sticks in my mind was that of Khrushchev saying that the USSR was "pulling [nuclear] missiles off the production line like sausages". Of course all of this is perspective, I'm sure that during the Cold War, attitudes were different.

As I am sure you would have found out whenyou were studying the issue, Khrushchev was lying (or shall we say exaggerating) the USSR's potential (at least as far as ICBMs were concerned). AND, the USA, via a spy recruited by Britain, KNEW the figures.

At the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis the USSR had only just started deploying its first ICBMs (SS-6) and had (sources vary) 6 operational of which they reckoned only 4 might make it to their targets.

Hence the convienient timing of the "Crisis", before the USA really had something to worry about.

ot quite. The US broke the law by flying reconnaisance missions over Cuba.

I didn't realise that was illegal, thanks.

Of course all of this is perspective, I'm sure that during the Cold War, attitudes were different.

Exactly. Another over-riding theme is one of both sides not wanting the other to know how scared they were of them. My Dad is convinced that it's something of a miracle nuclear war never happened, from my viewpoint (I was born several years after the collapse of the USSR), nuclear war was unlikely. Neither side, at any point, wanted a war, and when it all went "tits up", did a fairly decent job, given the circumstances, of preventing WW3.

.............. But from my own personal perspective I watched with disbelief from my liitle hole underground in Northwood while the Serbs massacred thousands of innocent civillians, we (Europeans did fcuk all just stood by and watched likewise the UN. it wasn't until uncle Sam got involved and provided the momentum to stop the slaughter and sort the cnuts out did we find a solution. ............

More "US History". The real problem was the Germans. They had both legal problems and a fear of ressurecting memories of the disgusting massacres that had occurred in wartime Yugoslavia and really put the brakes on AND tragically the rest of Europe went along with their ideas on other action. Depending on your version, it was the British and French who eventually sidelined them and got the US involved (and THEY had been sitting on the sidelines and hence were not really any better than "the Europeans").

NO western country really came out of it well (see, for instance, Italy's story) - but it is not a "glorious story for the USA" - that is just "their" version of the story that somehow blanks out their initial failures whilst highlighting others'.

Forget "flag-waving" history and try for the honest version (as much as possible).

all the Cold War warriors were drunk all the time

Absolute rubbish.

By Tuesday, no matter how hard one tried, it was impossible to remain drunk and the demons had to be let loose for a while.

You kids, with all your medals, just don't know what it was like.

If you remember the Cold War...you weren't there.

*stares*

Last edited:
More "US History". The real problem was the Germans. They had both legal problems and a fear of ressurecting memories of the disgusting massacres that had occurred in wartime Yugoslavia and really put the brakes on AND tragically the rest of Europe went along with their ideas on other action. Depending on your version, it was the British and French who eventually sidelined them and got the US involved (and THEY had been sitting on the sidelines and hence were not really any better than "the Europeans").

NO western country really came out of it well (see, for instance, Italy's story) - but it is not a "glorious story for the USA" - that is just "their" version of the story that somehow blanks out their initial failures whilst highlighting others'.

Forget "flag-waving" history and try for the honest version (as much as possible).
Did I say it was a glorious story?? just the truth the UN are fcuking useless unless the oil is involved likewise the US but we stood by and watched while the fcuking country disintegrated and women and children on both sides were brutally murdered in Europes backyard. As for the krauts it wasn't just fcuking Yugoslavia were they commited massacres. Like I stated in my post I am not educated but I was fcuking there, were you?? pricks like you so piss me off history isn't just reading books ffs I'm no yank lover but thank fcuk they were around in 1990 when I was alongside in Dubai in my little T42 no air cover creeping up the coast to Kuwait toi eavsedrop on what Sadam was up too. Believe me when I tell you this the sight of a 4 ship of F14 son CAP certainly made my clipper twitch a little less, and lots not forget their contribution to WW1 although late they made the difference and took a lot of casualties this was long before the cold war started hence their initial reluctance to get involved Europes problems again in WW2.
Monty your'e right Scruff is a prick of the finest order the wardroom deserves him

nuclear war was unlikely. Neither side, at any point, wanted a war, and when it all went "tits up", did a fairly decent job, given the circumstances, of preventing WW3.

Utter, utter horseshit. We came close on numerous occasions and it is no secret Reagan fancied letting loose the dogs of war.

I was fcuking there, were you??

Stan, as I have discovered with armchair generals of all ages ref Herrick. They tend to forego real live experience for the writings and opinions of those who like themselves weren't there or have a slanted view.

History is only truly correct when spoken of by those that experienced the events, not those who read about it afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads