China Increasing Tension in disputed Waters.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the next two weeks the 18th meeting of the National Congress meets to announce who will sit on the Politburo Standing Committee. Hu Jintao steps down and the new General Secretary will be declared. It is no real surprise that the Chinese are setting up news stories as a possible diversionary tactic if new policies are met with disapproval. With an increase in Chinese Nationalism it makes sense for them to use the island dispute for such a purpose, but I highly doubt that the new leadership will wish to enter in to armed conflict at a time when they will be sorting the economy, combating corruption and looking to develop the Western side of the country.

The Japanese should probably just give back what is not theirs and get on with making money, and the Taiwanese should stop trying to pretend they are the 'real' China.

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just out of interest, what is the relationship like between Japan & China? Have China ever forgiven them for what happened during WWII? I'm genuinely interested.

3. It's difficult to generalise about it, but I think it is fair to say that China has a collective memory of Japanese occupation and the tens of millions of Chinese it killed. Commercial interests since the reform in '78 have taken precedence but increased Nationalist opinion in China has opened up old scars of late.

Japan has a pretty weak, although Internationally sanctioned claim to the disputed islands, and the Chinese are understandingly miffed to say the least that the islands have become entirely sovereign property of Japan, and not just privately owned by a Japanese family.

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So is it reasonable to say there may be a kick off in relation to this matter?

5. I don't think so personally- more likely if the CCP's authority to rule was diluted with another Tienanmen Square and needed a diversionary squabble in the same style as the Argies and the Falklands.

Both nations maintain diplomatic ties, and rely heavily on trade with each other so there are at present more doves than hawks however much they might whinge about the islands.