Child Support to Lesbians!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Daktari, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A London man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple is being made to pay child support, it was revealed today.

Andy Bathie, 37, a firefighter from Enfield, agreed to help Sharon and Terri Arnold after they assured him he would have no involvement in the children's upbringing and no financial commitment.

But he is now having his pay docked to pay thousands of pounds in child maintenance even though he has no legal rights over the boy and girl the couple had.

He says the payments mean he and his wife cannot afford to have children of their own.

Mr Bathie, from Enfield, said: “These women wanted to be parents and take on all the responsibilities that brings.

I would never have agreed to this unless they had been living as a committed family. And now I can't afford to have children with my own wife — it's crippling me financially.â€

He is now bringing an unprecedented legal challenge so that he is not recognised as a legal parent to the children.

Mr Bathie was approached by the couple five years ago after they were “married†in a ceremony. They had unsuccessfully asked other male friends.

He said: “I did look into the legal side and understood that as a couple they would be the parents, not me. I was never Daddy.â€

He was stunned when the Child Support Agency contacted him last November to demand payments because the women had split up.

Officials made him take a £400 paternity test and began docking his pay.

Mr Bathie added: “The only reason these children are here is because they wanted children as a couple which means they should take responsibility.

The CSA admit that mine is an unusual case — this is double standards and I'm having money stolen by the Government.â€

At the time of the donation, Mr Bathie was in a relationship with a woman who had been sterilised and was not planning to have children. He has since married someone else.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority is now warning “DIY†donors they are liable financially unless they donate through a licensed clinic.

The HFEA said: “We would warn men providing genetic material that the only time they are not the father is when they donate through a licensed fertility clinic. This does not apply to unlicensed websites or home insemination.â€

Lawyers say an increasing number of men are seeking legal advice after being approached by lesbian couples desperate to conceive but who cannot afford clinic costs.

Ministers have drawn up fertility reforms giving equal parenting rights to same-sex couples who “marry†in a civil partnership. This means they will now be recognised as the legal parents of children they conceive through sperm donation.

This change comes too late for Mr Bathie, who has only met the children, now aged two and four, a couple of times.

He is now pushing for an amendment to make the laws retrospective. Sharon and Terri Arnold were not available for comment.

The legal pitfall for donors

Andy Bathie has fallen victim to the legal pitfalls of being a DIY sperm donor.

Had he and the lesbian couple involved gone through the proper authorities then, according to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, he would have been accorded the full protection of current fertility laws.

Men who give sperm through HFEA-licensed clinics have no legal obligation to a child created through the donation process.

They do not have the right to determine how the child is brought up nor the right to be named on the birth certificate.

They also have no financial obligation to pay child support.

Donors were guaranteed the right to remain anonymous throughout the child's lifetime but in 2005 the law changed, allowing children once they turned 18 to write to the HFEA and be told the identity of their real father.

The donor still has no legal financial obligation even after his identity becomes known. Ministers are now drawing up reforms to the law which will give both women in a lesbian relationship parental rights — not just the mother — should they marry in a civil partnership
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The dopey twat, I thought firefighters where meant to have a couple of brain cells. This kind of thing was always a possability.
  3. I wish him well with his legal challenge. If a man is denied access to children he should not have to pay for them. Having said that I have to pay for the education and free healthcare of other people's children in my taxes, so it no different really.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Another reason to endorse the benefits of **** sex... 8O :lol:
  5. Always knew in vitro fertilisation would cause problems.
  6. Should have kept his hose well tendered and he would have been alright.

Bloody dykes.
  7. I wonder who got custody of the turkey baster and who got custody of the kid?
  8. Give 'em nine inches and they'll take a mile. The stupid prick, didn't even get a free f**k out of it. Whose sorry now? although I must admit I do feel sorry for the poor bugger getting caught up in the web of these non-skid rubber waving bitches. I hope the courts sort the cows out.
  9. Seeing as he is on the hook financially he should consider going to court for full parental rights and custody of the children, make the couple sweat... :afro:
  10. But where are the lesbians?!!
  11. Snag is with the current ways of awarding custody its usually the natural Mother that gets the kids . So unless he can prove she's a bad mother to
    bring up his children he has the next 20 + years to pay child maintenance .

And he didn't get his end away :thanks: :thanks:

:nemo: :nemo:
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

He could always lie low for a while then claim someone has stolen his identity...

But then again being a dopey cnut for

A. Donating his manfat to the turkey baster
    B. Not demanding it was donated naturally.....pair of dykes FFS
    C. Not demanding a few chews to "get him in the mood"

One could say he deserves his lot.
  13. If this was the states, a good lawyer and pass around down at the station and they (the lesbians) would be in court for fraud, but your right unfortunately for the Dad's out there, the courts are biased. :threaten:
  14. :nemo: :nemo:[/quote]

If this was the states, a good lawyer and pass around down at the station and they (the lesbians) would be in court for fraud, but your right unfortunately for the Dad's out there, the courts are biased. :threaten:[/quote]

Nah if this was the states they'd kidnap the turkey baster and lock it up in Gitmo
  15. Perhaps the courts could question the term 'natural mother' as she seems to be un-natural in the sense that mother is intended.
  16. sgtpepperband

Why? In the religious sense? Because she does not conform to your idea of a 'Mother' (i.e. she's a lesbian)? Is her ability or integrity as a Mother being called into question? No, and that is not the remit of the court either.

As stated:

The donor should have made himself aware of the legal implications before he entered into the agreement - he obviously didn't, so more fool him. Whatever the benefits of the legal case being brought, the sexuality of the parent(s) is not relevant but the welfare, upbringing and financial support of the child is the more important issue.
  17. So what you are saying is had said Lesbians developed the embryo in a lab using genetic material thay had obtained either with or without permission than - produced the sprog for their own benefit then split up and foisted the poor brat on the state, then the state is entitled to go back to the provider of the genetic material and recoup pennies for the sprog? I agree that the child who had no part in this debarcle should be cared for however the "parents" i.e the Lesbians wouldn't be two mothers .. or would they?? I still think that the Lessies should be made to contribute the majority. Poor child is probably very confused and should have been taken into care anyway!
  18. sgtpepperband

Read the quote from the HFEA. Had an authorised agency been used, then this would not be 'news' [sic]... 8O
  19. It's not clear what newspaper this article has been cut and pasted from.

Unless the CSA has changed their approach I have a feeling that the mothers would have little say in this either. The CSA will pursue the father regardless of the wishes of the mother, or mothers as in this case. If he's an easy target then it just supports their achievement performance metrics.

I'd agree that it's not specially newsworthy and to a large extent it's his own fault.
  20. BBC News!