Chilcott delivers his report.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fishhead, Jul 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36712735

The long awaited report finally appeared today but did it tell us anything we didn't already know?
    I think probably not though it did confirm what many of us thought but was always denied. The most damning for Blair is that the so-called intelligence that said Saddam had WMD and was ready to use them at 45 minutes notice. Many(including myself) at the time he made that speech in Parliament believed him and we have now been told it was a load of tosh. Hans Blix the UN appointed investigator of WMD in Iraq had already said there were none but he was poo-pooed. The BBC got into a mighty pickle with Blair & Co for suggesting that the so-called evidence was being sexed up.
    I note the Blair is accepting all the blame but denying he told us lies. So that's all right then.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nothing sticks to Teflon Tony.

3. images.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I wonder if Chilcot made any comments on the supposed suicide of Dr David Kelly?

• Like Like x 2
  5. [​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. I think I now understand why this report took seven years to become public. Chilcott clearly had problems finding a set of words that didn't brand Blair and his mates liars while blaming them for overstating the value of the information coming from MI6. Equally he also had to try and dodge the wrath of the Septics and ex-Pres George the stupid.
    Blair is going around the bazaars telling anyone who'll listen that presented with the same set of circumstances he'd do the same again. So on the one hand he says he's sorry and on the other he's saying the Chilcott Report changes nothing.

8. So, seven years and £10m to tell me:

1. Campbell was a spin doctor, and mis-used what JIC where saying
    2. We were not properly equipped, nor ready to deploy
    3. The WMD did not exist, which is what Blix was telling us at the time
    4. We had no post-invasion policy in place

Well, I could have done that in seven days for £10

9. Ah but, you would have probably added point 5
    5. And therefore I recommend that the following individuals........, be held accountable for their actions in a court of law

So from a politicians perspective (don't forget it was the Labour Government of the day that commissioned Chilcott, but I accept that all politicians are reluctant to be held accountable for their actions) that the extra 9,999,990 quid and 6 years 358 days were an incredibly sensible way to spend our money.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Rather than wonder, why not read the report? To make it easy for cherry pickers, the pdf version has a handy 'search' function.

I don't know if Chilcot commented but I do know that a Judicial Inquiry under a Judge called Hutton did. Remember?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I remember the Hutton report being widely slated as being a whitewash. Just about the only people who accepted his conclusions were Blair and his mates who it turns out were innocents abroad questioning nothing that tallied with their beliefs and intentions. The BBC Director General resigned for letting David Kelly make public what we now know to be true. The reporter(Andrew Gilligan?) that said that the intelligence was being "sexed up" was also shown the door. Not only did a poor man commit suicide after being hounded in an effort to shut him up but the messenger was shot as well. It's comforting to know that given the same circumstances Blair would do the same again and can only increase our faith in politicians.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seadog

As one of those afloat in the NAG when TELIC 1 kicked off, I stopped shitting myself when I realised that for me to be scared I'd have to believe that Tony Blair was telling the truth.

I understand that other members of HMAF didn't have it as cushy as I did but managing ones fear is a personal thing. It worked for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. How much was Chilcott was getting paid? No point giving up a nice little earner until you have to?
    IMO Blair was trying to emulate the success Maggi received after the Falkland's, and be remembered in history, well he may be remembered but not the way he wanted?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seadog

Over £700 a day. However, consider he is a retired very senior civil servant so it may be the case that having been recalled from the golf course/ garden to active service he comes off pension and back on pay. He was a PUS (4*) so 700 a day sounds about right. Giving up so many of ones twilight years to lead an inquiry requires compensation.

15. My 2p worth:

chilcott.jpg

• Like Like x 2