Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chilcot Enquiry

G

guestm

The results of recent conflicts only enforce my views that Muslim countries can only be successful ruled by hard talking hard ruling dictators.
I know that Muslims are not a race however they act like one and as such only seem to respect absolute power

That's a bit silly. You could say the same about Central and Southern Africa, which are predominantly Christian.

Iraq was no Eden, bit we utterly broke it under false pretences and the flag of world police.

slim

War Hero
That's a bit silly. You could say the same about Central and Southern Africa, which are predominantly Christian.

Iraq was no Eden, bit we utterly broke it under false pretences and the flag of world police.

These are MY views Monty, which believe it or not I am entitled to hold.
I understand what you are saying about sub Saharan Africa, however in the main we have been wise enough not to poke our noses there (much as I believe we should have done in Zimbabwe).
As Christians (Infidels) we are not welcome in many Muslim countries and are only allowed there under sufference or because they need our cash. We become even less welcome when our government sends troops in to try and change a countries leader.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Not heard of Turkey then slim?

The problem with the Middle East is that we drew some lines in the sand back in the day and created countries without any regard to people. There's little loyalty to the concept of Iraq, just like with Yugoslavia. The borders of most countries have been determined by decades or centuries of conflict as concepts of national identity emerge and regional power balanced worked out. It's painful but if you want to build a nation you need a group of people who want to be in a nation together.

slim

War Hero
Not heard of Turkey then slim?

The problem with the Middle East is that we drew some lines in the sand back in the day and created countries without any regard to people. There's little loyalty to the concept of Iraq, just like with Yugoslavia. The borders of most countries have been determined by decades or centuries of conflict as concepts of national identity emerge and regional power balanced worked out. It's painful but if you want to build a nation you need a group of people who want to be in a nation together.
Heard of Turkey, I have holidayed there and worked there.
The places where I holiday bear no resemblance to the places where I worked. Holiday places are fun with drinking, flirting with the girls and spending money.
Now look at a map of Turkey and find a great fck off lake name of Lake Van. At one end is Van and the other Tatvan. Look to the left and down you will find Bitliss. I worked there for 3 weeks, it is bandit country, this is real hard line Muslim country.
This is also where the Turkish government have a lot of problems. Turkey is a secular country but the Muslim hardliners do not like this and are doing all in their power to change it. The Turkish army has an extremely large force there at all times attempting to control this area.

I have also worked in Libya, Egypt and Morroco, none of them by choice:x

slim

War Hero

I am with you on this one Monty
We went into Iraq and also interfered with Libya
Saddam was a real bastard as with Gadafi, however they had to be to control their people who only understand the term "might is right".
Yugoslavia under Tito managed OK as well.
It is wrong to go into these countries in the role of peacemaker, feck em up and then piss orf.

fishhead

War Hero
You have to admire Bliar's chutzpah. He helps light the blue touch paper that leaves half the Arab world in uproar and then excuses it by saying it would have happened anyway. The main problem is that he actually believes what he's saying is right.

MG Maniac

War Hero
You have to admire Bliar's chutzpah. He helps light the blue touch paper that leaves half the Arab world in uproar and then excuses it by saying it would have happened anyway. The main problem is that he actually believes what he's saying is right.

Going by the state of the majority of Arab countries ... I have to admit that he's probably right ... in a way the local palm reader can with the law of probability come up with something that 80% of the populace think is a message from great Aunt Agatha!

Case in point ... Egypt is up in arms about the old president/elections/new president therefore trying to beat sh*t out of each other ... but only in North Sinia and the area around Cairo. Latest FO report however says that down in Aswan (about as far as you can get from Cairo) some local tribes are beating sh*t out of each other for no other reason other than that they can - its ain't anything to do with whats going on up North ... so my premise is that Arab tribes will beat the sh*t out of each other for no apparent reason at the drop of a hat ... so Blair saying that it would have happened anyway is probably spot on. The problem is as I see it that he and GW then poked them with a stick thus giving the tribes a common enemy.

fishhead

War Hero
Going by the state of the majority of Arab countries ... I have to admit that he's probably right ... in a way the local palm reader can with the law of probability come up with something that 80% of the populace think is a message from great Aunt Agatha!

Case in point ... Egypt is up in arms about the old president/elections/new president therefore trying to beat sh*t out of each other ... but only in North Sinia and the area around Cairo. Latest FO report however says that down in Aswan (about as far as you can get from Cairo) some local tribes are beating sh*t out of each other for no other reason other than that they can - its ain't anything to do with whats going on up North ... so my premise is that Arab tribes will beat the sh*t out of each other for no apparent reason at the drop of a hat ... so Blair saying that it would have happened anyway is probably spot on. The problem is as I see it that he and GW then poked them with a stick thus giving the tribes a common enemy.
It is true that pre the 2003 invasion of Iraq that the political situation across the middle east was not all sweetness and light. But once Saddam had been overthrown it opened up Pandora's box and gave the Islamists and various sects an opportunity to try and strengthen their positions. It took a while for this to mature but eventually we had the Arab spring where the militants in several countries felt strong enough to try and overthrow the ruling elite. The situation is on going but the common theme is that Islamist militants have poked their noses in to try and turn the situation to their advantage.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

He also claims that he didn't delay the release of the report, but he got the "Maxwellisation" letter in January and didn't reply until September !

He is such a dead loss.

Stirlin

War Hero
Thick skinned , after he was questioned by Chilcott , family members who had lost loved one's in Iraq barracked him shouting 'Blood on your hands/Murderer ' he never batted an eyelid , just buttoned up his jacket and into Range Rover with all his body guards.

Latest Threads