Chefs and stewards to get an FRI.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not heard anything either but we are hearing increasing numbers of Chefs/Stewards stating they are considering leaving because they know they'll be able to rejoin in less than a month & get themselves a £5K rejoin bounty. A bit of a high risk strategy, but to be fair, the civilian sector are crying out for them also so they ain't going to be unemployed for long.

This last month I interviewed a former RN Chef in their late 40's and they'll be back at sea next month most likely. There are a fair few in the pipeline, some over 50, so nothing would surprise me.

FRI's tend to be the cheaper route to retain those that weren't actually thinking of leaving anyway so whilst those leaving will probably continue do so anyway, those staying are more likely to dip-in if it comes to pass.

As ever, the mob is reactive rather than proactive so it's rewarding those who left but not those who stay... but too bone to see the obvious.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not heard anything either but we are hearing increasing numbers of Chefs/Stewards stating they are considering leaving because they know they'll be able to rejoin in less than a month & get themselves a £5K rejoin bounty. A bit of a high risk strategy, but to be fair, the civilian sector are crying out for them also so they ain't going to be unemployed for long.

This last month I interviewed a former RN Chef in their late 40's and they'll be back at sea next month most likely. There are a fair few in the pipeline, some over 50, so nothing would surprise me.

FRI's tend to be the cheaper route to retain those that weren't actually thinking of leaving anyway so whilst those leaving will probably continue do so anyway, those staying are more likely to dip-in if it comes to pass.

As ever, the mob is reactive rather than proactive so it's rewarding those who left but not those who stay... but too bone to see the obvious.

I know a 94 year old WW2 Submariner Cook, is it worth him applying. He's good at drinking rum, whoops! they stopped the Tot didn't they. (I won't tell him)

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
There is an FRI in the application process up in town; the earliest it will be approved will be early 2019. And you have to be outside for a certain length of time before rejoining to qualify for the Golden Hello - off the top of my head it’s 12 months, but I’ll check.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
And there are circa 15-25 re-entrants in the pipeline, mainly LChs who left in the last 5-10 years so they qualify for the GH and have been given approval to re-join on their ‘departing’ LSA level.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There is an FRI in the application process up in town; the earliest it will be approved will be early 2019. And you have to be outside for a certain length of time before rejoining to qualify for the Golden Hello - off the top of my head it’s 12 months, but I’ll check.
There is a £5k (pre-tax) joining or rejoining bounty, it's been there for a little while, but is there a Financial Retention Incentive (FRI) for those already serving? If so, how much, when & do you have the reference? That's the question raised in this thread.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
There is a £5k (pre-tax) joining or rejoining bounty, it's been there for a little while, but is there a Financial Retention Incentive (FRI) for those already serving? If so, how much, when & do you have the reference? That's the question raised in this thread.
No, there’s not one right now.

How does the medical work for this group? Surely those re-joining in their 40s and 50s will be a little battered and bruised. I know the interview is less ‘intense’ and there may be a six month fitness waiver to get them back in rapidly, but is the medical as stringent? It’s all arranged quickly by all accounts - nearest camp - face to face nurse triage then MO - think Capita are left out of it. Hard copy of medical record to be taken along also. If, for example the person had a relatively serious injury during service which didn’t restrict their ability to perform their role, were not medically discharged and were re-entering a shortage role would the MO exercise discretion? If not then I wonder how many re-joiners get to the medical stage literally a few weeks before the date they have to go back in only to be binned.

How does the medical work for this group? Surely those re-joining in their 40s and 50s will be a little battered and bruised. I know the interview is less ‘intense’ and there may be a six month fitness waiver to get them back in rapidly, but is the medical as stringent? It’s all arranged quickly by all accounts - nearest camp - face to face nurse triage then MO - think Capita are left out of it. Hard copy of medical record to be taken along also. If, for example the person had a relatively serious injury during service which didn’t restrict their ability to perform their role, were not medically discharged and were re-entering a shortage role would the MO exercise discretion? If not then I wonder how many re-joiners get to the medical stage literally a few weeks before the date they have to go back in only to be binned.
unfortunately that is one area, we lack on this site, professional medical advice. His AFCO may be able to give some guidelines but it will still be down to the Doc.
@Ninja_Stoker may be able to point you in the right direction?

It is confusing. If you go strictly by the regulations I fear a large percentage of over 40s would struggle to pass the medical. Obviously, the purpose of recruiting ex-RN back into post is to plug a personpower gap so surely it would make sense to make the medical the very first thing and relax the regs enough to maintain safety, but consider reality. This way those investing huge amounts of time, energy and emotion in the process would get the bad news early; not when they have handed notice to employers etc. due to the start date being so soon after. Just a thought, I know very little in fairness...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It is confusing. If you go strictly by the regulations I fear a large percentage of over 40s would struggle to pass the medical. Obviously, the purpose of recruiting ex-RN back into post is to plug a personpower gap so surely it would make sense to make the medical the very first thing and relax the regs enough to maintain safety, but consider reality. This way those investing huge amounts of time, energy and emotion in the process would get the bad news early; not when they have handed notice to employers etc. due to the start date being so soon after. Just a thought, I know very little in fairness...
Those fast-track re-entrants we need in shortage category branches are being interviewed and gaining security clearance. After joining, they then undergo the medical and fitness tests.

JSP950 has different medical standards for those already serving (Section 5) and those joining (Section 4). The standards for entry are far more stringent.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
I’m afraid I don’t have the medical answers, but the first two on this scheme (both aged 40+) are both at Raleigh having passed their medical, and quite a few others have already passed their medicals too. I hope this at least reassures you? There’s an arrangement for them to undertake their medical prior to joining Raleigh to try and alliveiate the ‘getting your hopes up’ element (as you will already know, but @Ninja_Stoker might not). It also cuts Crapita out of the loop so they can get back in quickly!

That’s helpful, thank you. Medical tomorrow so let’s see. We’ve just got our heads around being back in the life so hopefully we don’t find a spanner in the works...It’s all happened incredibly quickly.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you, very helpful information. Stupid question - are re-entrants tested under Section 4 or 5?
Re-entrants are usually subject to the same entry standards as first-time joiners (Section 4) but those individuals who are former trained ranks, specifically invited to rejoin on the new fast track pilot scheme (joining next month), will undergo their medical after joining, be subject to JSP 950, Section 5 regulations & given six months to meet the phys standards.

Bog standard, fully trained or part-trained individuals who elect to rejoin must meet the standard eligibility criteria including JSP 950 Section 4 and pass the pre-joining fitness test.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
whitemouse The Quarterdeck 16
L The Fleet 8
toycommandos The Gash Barge 13