chef

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by werqpr, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anyone know the wait time for a chef?

2. Rare, Medium or Well done?

:bball:

Somebody more sensible will be along in a while...if you're lucky.

3. Ask Gordon Ramsey, the Navy only has cooks :)

4. I thought it was Able Seaman (Logistics) (Catering Services) (Preparation) +/-(Submarine)!

5. Yes I think your right, catering services is what I ment.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Last time I looked there were vacancies for Logs CS(P) & Logs CS(P)(SM), or Chef in old money (not cook), starting phase one training on 07 December.

If you pull your finger out, pass all stagesof selection & get security clearance by then it's entirely "do-able".

7. Thanks for that Ninga!! I've just sent back my application form and I'm waiting for my RT date to come through, on the form I put down WE and ME but I fancy going in as a chef now, could I change my mind and swap??

8. Depends if you can burn toast?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are completely entitled to change you branch of preference as many times as you like prior to being allocated an entry date.

Once you join, however, you cannot change.

Good luck!

10. Don't forget, no one has passed the course for Chef yet.

11. If the only reason for joining as a chef is to join the RN sooner then I would think carefully about the change.
    I take it that as you originally wanted to be an ME or WE you are technically minded, so why change be a cabbage mechanic?
    Service chefs are good (do not in any circumstances tell them this), and employment opportunities in civie street are excellent, though you will be working unsocial hours.
    before you change your mind think carefully, it will be too late once you are in. :thumright:

12. Of course, that is a very good point. I will defo give it alot of thought. Thanks

13. Good to see its not just the hardest course in the Army then.

16. Slim that changed ages ago- they've been rated Chef, Leading Chef, etc since at least 1994. They were cooks in the 80s and before, but that was a while ago now.

17. When they were Called cooks :thumright: The guys with nowse always called them CHEF :thumright: you always got bigger portions :w00t: :thumright:

18. At Lossie we had a big Scouse Killick chef, he asked me how the food was, I told him it was crap..............................................After I picked myself of the deck..............................

19. I stand corrected.....................Just think how those in the branch must feel. recogmised as Chef in 1994 then downgraded to loggies later :pukel: