Chef

danny

War Hero
MonkeyTennis said:
Having a larf aincha??
1994 (i think) we got kicked out of our base location so Crab Air had somewhere nice to stay. We ended up in 10 man tents on Bardufoss Airfield. However...we had to eat in a Crabfat field galley and I kid you not - the best scran I have ever had by pusser. Chatted to the light blue cabbage mechanic, and he told me they couldnt even come close to spending their budget. Strange that all the scran money went to Biggleworth and co, and not to Royal working his knackers off dragging wooden pulks up the E6.
It's all going downhill anyway - save as you starve isnt making any money, so the standards are dropping - and anyone remember the scran on Whale Island (2000ish) when civvies took over? portion control by a spotty herbert that nearly got his spoon where the sun dont shine everytime he tried to give me 2 spuds just like the 8 stone matelot in front.

The scran at whale island was still arse last time i visited last year. Worst scran in the mob.
Joined my first PAYD bae and its the best galley ive been to. And been to most of the bases that are left.

Sophie

Midshipman
SILVER_FOX said:
No idea about the waiting times for entry as a Chef but they are in short supply so that has to be in your favour. Have you tried asking someone in the careers office?

SF

Hi, all the replies I've had on here a great and I'm starting to really feel as though I can have a great career as chef... my only other question now is, why are they in such short supply? just one of those things or is there something I've missed?

Soph x

slim

War Hero
Sophie said:
SILVER_FOX said:
No idea about the waiting times for entry as a Chef but they are in short supply so that has to be in your favour. Have you tried asking someone in the careers office?

SF

Hi, all the replies I've had on here a great and I'm starting to really feel as though I can have a great career as chef... my only other question now is, why are they in such short supply? just one of those things or is there something I've missed?

Soph x

I think you may find that it isn't the most glamorous trade in the RN so many are put off.
During my time (many years ago) the cooks branch tended to have more than it's fair share of reprobates, however times may have changed.
prospects in today's civilian world are good for chefs leaving the armed forces.
celebrity chefs on the Television have elevated the position of chefs immensely

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
All joking aside, I would think that in todays RN/RM the trade training available to chefs is first rate and that good (In the eyes of civilian employers)
trade qualifications can be attained.
It must be remembered that the chefs have to work within a budget of quite astonishing cheapness (It was about a quid a meal per man or sommat in my day, Alzheimer's prevents me from being more accurate!!) and within these restraints they do well.
As to why the Branch is undermanned, not many young thrusters join up to sling baked beans.
NZB

lsadirty

War Hero
Never starved on any ship or boat I was on, although some meals were better than others. Met a lot of real characters among them, especially some of the submarine chefs, who could stand back and dish out as much stick across the counter as we could, and seemed to enjoy it as much at the end of week 11 as they did at the end of week 1.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
lsadirty said:
Never starved on any ship or boat I was on, although some meals were better than others. Met a lot of real characters among them, especially some of the submarine chefs, who could stand back and dish out as much stick across the counter as we could, and seemed to enjoy it as much at the end of week 11 as they did at the end of week 1.

It's rather refreshing to see an accurate, insightful observation on the subject of Chefs.

For me the Chefs were and are always the ones who took the mick relentlessly when you had just woken-up & weren't ready for it at the breakfast counter in the morning. They rapped you over the knuckles with a ladle for daring to take more than 2 fillet steaks on one plate on "Steak Nite", laid into to you verbally- regardless of rank when you poured the bloody gravy on your duff whilst thinking it was chocolate sauce.

What is probably the best part of the job, is despite their excellent skills, unlike working in a Michelin **** Restaurant, they can (and frequently do!) tell the more discerning customer to "Do one" if they don't like it.

They are always amongst the hardest workers with the best sense of humour & those with incredible culinary skill when it came to preparing amongst other things, mess dinners. Yet, the long-standing joke is that we never-ever tell them that the meal was brilliant. The best they get is: "That wasn't bad mate".

Mind you, never met one that was even close to being as good looking as the ugliest Stoker. Apart from those that left the Senior Rates scullery unlocked so as you could butter a bit of bread for your kebab meats when you returned onboard at 04:00 from a postcard run in Gib.

A thankless job at times, which is permanently critically monitored by everyone. They're pretty good in my book.

:thumright:

lsadirty

War Hero
Always remember the galley on VALIANT in the 70s: first evening on leaving Guzz for a Med deployment, up go the shutters, and there is half a lobster apiece, with the sauce, all the trimmings - most people thought they'd died and woke up in heaven.
3 months later, leave Gib on the way home, up go the shutters, and there it is, in all it's glory - thr other half of the lobster, again, with all the trimmings.
First stoker in the queue: "Kinnel, Chef, not lobster AGAIN".
Maybe they weren't full trippers like me...................................

as a current chef in the mob .... thought i'd throw in a couple of words. Being a chef depends largely on what ship you are drafted to so it can be a gamble.... being a chef is a nails job most of the time but the rewards can be great if you crack on for the lads and ladies.... If you dont mind graft and have the right "king of the counter" attitude... be a chef.

lsadirty

War Hero
Bravo Adam, and well said - dig out for the lads, and if they don't appreciate it - bollox to 'em - ask mum to fix Nesi Goreng, chinky nosh and midrats for 'em - sure she'd oblige.

Sophie

Midshipman
So should I look to get a job working in a kitchen in civvy street while I wait to apply (need to lose a bit more weight yet and shave a minute or so off my run time) or shall I stick with my current civvy job of lifeguarding and let the navy train me from the start?

Soph x

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sophie said:
So should I look to get a job working in a kitchen in civvy street while I wait to apply (need to lose a bit more weight yet and shave a minute or so off my run time) or shall I stick with my current civvy job of lifeguarding and let the navy train me from the start?

Soph x

You will be trained from scratch, the assumption being that you have had no previous formal training-as advertised, "no previous experience necessary".

Two things to consider logically:

1) It's worth at least having a try working in a busy kitchen if you haven't before - you may find it's not suited to you.

2) If you gain some Basic Food Hygiene qualifications before you join, your formal training will be less pressured.

There is generally no shortage of civilian kitchen jobs available & you will get used to spending your day working on your feet. Whereas a lifeguard job may appear athletic, it's generally sedentary & during social hours. You could utilise your time in a fitness environment to improve your fitness before joining (for free) & work in a kitchen of an evening, gaining a head-start & appreciation of working unsociable hours.

Latest Threads