Chef training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BeansOnToast?, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or should I say "cook" training to avoid all the piss taking? Haha!!!

Was just wondering if anybody could give me any ideas what to expect during phase two training?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sadly, I doubt that much advice will be forthcoming as no one has ever passed this course.

3. When did they start training them?

4. Haha! dammit I was too busy accounting for the chef/cook debate I forgot about the "passing the course" jokes!!!

5. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Rumour has it that this branch is only open to Chiefs with dyslexia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Chef and Training, two words not normally seen together

7. Is the food really that bad on-board? i hear the chef jokes all the time, never payed much attention to them before, now i'm thinking :p

8. BAD? We used to take 30 or 40 pot noodles and a similar amount of cuppa-soup to sea with us.

9. Unusually serious reponse here denzell, but I reckon scran was usually pretty good and at times excellent, and I'm a right fussy bastard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. True, the only crap scran I had in the mob was Sultan early 70's. Scran onboard 3 ships was top.

11. You can expect to be trained as a chef to a fairly high standard. What happens to you after that is where it can all fall apart. It all depends on the attitute and profesional standards of the people in the fleet that provide your continuation training.

I would suggest that you don't start your prospective career in the branch of your choice by taking the piss out of it.

I spent my career cooking/catering for mostly ungrateful, moaning matlots. Any opportunity to drip about food they will. Having said that, I've met some top blokes that were always grateful and would say thanks for their meal.

I challange anyone to say that thier branch contained only the best and most profesional sailors. Each branch has its share of loafers and ROMFT ratings. Each branch has its share of excellent lads and people who just manage to get by. The Chef's branch is no different to that. In fact its no different to civvy street, where the same applies.

I can honestly say that I always did my best and never put a meal on the counter that I wouldn't eat myself. Me and the lads in my watch always worked balls out to provide the best meals we could. I also trained the lads that worked for me to have the same outlook .

Unfortunatly Chefs are an easy target as we have to meet a deadline 3/4 times a day, and everyone is a food critic.

I've worked on civvie ships, I've worked on RFAs and I've worked with the Army and can honestly say that the food provided on pusser's warships is by far and above the best. I saw food on RFAs that I wouldn't give to my dog, but the lads all thought it was the best they'd ever had because there was a fridge inthe dining hall with bread and spreads that was available 24hrs a day!

We have to suck it up and take the shit, its part of the job, however we aren't so far up ourselves that we don't feel the need to open a bottle of champange every time we do something sucsessfully.

• Like Like x 5
  12. My God, you Chefs/Cooks/Food destroyers are a sensitive lot! So..................

OK, I'll 'fess up - the dit about Pot Noodles was a fib. In actual fact, though I hate to admit it, the food onboard was generally pretty damn good, though boats were better than GS - depending on the Grocer and the freuency of 'hydraulic bursts!!). But, the food in shore establishments was pants, or, of a much lower standard, but still edible......

Oh, and being well dragged up, I ALWAYS told the galley gang if I had particularly enjoyed my scran (got me more next time!)

13. Love it!

Campbeltown 96-98 Dapper?

14. Its not the chef's fault, it's the caterers!

15. dapperdunn SFA to do with the thread but spotting your Rams crest It might be of interest to you that Mrs. F's cousin used to play for DC, John O'Hare.

16. They are as one.

17. Faslane late 70s, "Vegietherm"? precooked, frozen and reheated in a steam oven. bloody awful, like muck-on-a-truck.

18. I once wandered into the galley of HMS Cambridge to find slushy on his knees giving the camp Labradore a quick tug, not wishing to intrude on this tender moment I quietly left, funnily enough I wont eat anything with a white sauce to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Problem at Sultan was so many different nations training there at the time Libyans/Iraqis/Iranians the scran was geared to them, and even they complained.

20. Yes Mate! That was me :happy8: